2 of 2
first time user…need help with white chocolate whisper cake
Posted: 11 March 2009 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  589
Joined  2007-11-18

BELASUNA:
  Good morning. Bela, I am happy that you got your oven adjusted. I am sure you will bake a better baked product now.
Bela just some food for thought my friend if you think your baking problem rested with the oven temp.??? then why didn’t it have an effect on the muffins you said you baked & came out perfectly. question  Just a little food for thought my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 11 March 2009 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07
~FRESHKID - 11 March 2009 04:03 PM

BELASUNA:
  Good morning. Bela, I am happy that you got your oven adjusted. I am sure you will bake a better baked product now.
Bela just some food for thought my friend if you think your baking problem rested with the oven temp.??? then why didn’t it have an effect on the muffins you said you baked & came out perfectly. question  Just a little food for thought my friend.

~FRESHKID.

Hi Freshkid,

That is a good question which I have indeed been thinking about. The cupcakes did come out looking perfect and were moist when I tried them (they were still warm and just out of the oven at that point). However, the next few days as I was munching on those delicious whisper cupcakes I did find them a tad bit dry and they did pull away from the cupcake liner (I saw this topic questioned on another thread). But they were still scrumptuous. So I think even though the cupcakes baked in 20 minutes and looked perfect (they did not looked burned), they were probably overbaked by about 5 minutes.  So alas, I do think the problem was with the inaccurate temperature of my oven. I will test the whisper cake again this Friday. If it bakes in the correct amount of time indicated in the cake bible then I will know proof positive that the problem was indeed the oven temp. Thank you for your very insightful questions and suggestions. Take care…belasuna

Posted: 11 March 2009 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Hi Belasuna,

Now that the cake experts have solved your problem, I’ll chime in and give you the names of a couple of books that you asked for further up the thread.  Actually three books:
- Understanding Baking by Joseph Amendola and Nicole Rees
- McGee on Food and Cooking by Harold McGee
- How Baking Works by Paula Figoni

Good luck with your next cake and please post a picture!
Annie

Posted: 11 March 2009 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07
AnnieMacD - 11 March 2009 06:05 PM

Hi Belasuna,

Now that the cake experts have solved your problem, I’ll chime in and give you the names of a couple of books that you asked for further up the thread.  Actually three books:
- Understanding Baking by Joseph Amendola and Nicole Rees
- McGee on Food and Cooking by Harold McGee
- How Baking Works by Paula Figoni

Good luck with your next cake and please post a picture!
Annie

Thanks Annie! I will definitely check these books out.

Posted: 12 March 2009 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Belasuna, one small note, you mentioned the cupcakes were dry after several days- butter cakes don’t stay moist indefinitely, they are best the day they are baked (or frozen as soon as they are finished cooling).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 14 March 2009 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

Hi All,

I just wanted to post the whisper cake I made this Friday. I could not have made such a nice cake without all your help…so this one is for the forum. So…the cake is, of course, the white chocolate whisper cake that I glazed with the raspberry puree, then filled with a raspberry mousseline and frosted with lemon curd mousseline. It was absolutely yummy. The cake came out so moist and baked in 35 minutes. This was my first time making the raspberry puree for the mousseline and it was so delicious it almost didn’t make it into the mousseline. This was also my first time making the mousseline buttercream, and after reading all the tutorials and advice on this forum, I actually made it without a problem. It was so fast and easy. And the lemon curd is to die for. I am very pleased with the results. Thanks again for all your help.  smile  Have a great weekend.
~belasuna

Image Attachments
560A0269.jpg

Posted: 14 March 2009 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Wow belasuna! Congratulations on mastering all of these wonderful recipes. The cake looks absolutely stunning! I know what you mean about the raspberry puree not making it to the mousseline. My husband and kids love eating it by the spoonful and so do I. Did you use Rose’s method (posted on the blog) for making the lemon curd. It works like a charm with zero residue.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 March 2009 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Here it is. In case you need it….....

just made another batch and made a noteworthy discovery: if you beat the butter into the eggs and sugar before adding the juice it protects the yolks from curdling at all so you get 0 residue! i’m so thrilled i had to report this right away to you curd lovers!
also, if you want to store it for several months, pour the hot curd into sterilized canning jars, top with sterilized lids, screw on the caps and turn them upside down for 5 minutes so the air at the top can go through the hot curd. then invert them and they will seal. i still store them in the frig to keep the flavor as bright as possible for as long as possible but a cool cellar or wine cellar would also be good.

Reply to this     Posted by: Rose Levy Beranbaum | January 31, 2008 2:58 PM #

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 March 2009 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Nice cake!  Don’t you just love Rose’s recipes!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 14 March 2009 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

What a gorgeous cake Belasuna!  I love your design in the buttercream. I’m glad that everything was a success for you this time!

Posted: 15 March 2009 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, Belasuna, that’s a beautiful cake- so elegant!  And it sounds incredibly delicious.  Was it for a special event?  Like you, I must admit that the portions of curd and purees that don’t make it into buttercreams often get eaten with a spoon in our house (or mixed into Greek yogurt).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

2 of 2

‹‹ 3D Rubber Ducky Cake      Cake Pops ››