Hostess Cupcakes…well, mock ones.
Posted: 09 March 2009 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I am posting this pic, NOT because I am proud of them, but so I can get some feedback. I made these last weekend, I got the recipe somewhere online, it was a dark chocolate cupcake, with a cream cheese/fluff filling, and a dark chocolate ganache on top. They TASTED amazing, but didn’t look that way.

I had problems with the ganache. I have never made it before and the recipe that I had didn’t give specific directions, (or maybe I didn’t follow them right)....anyways. I looked in TCB and Rose suggests using a food processor- which I don’t own. So I just put cream ono the stove, brought it to a boil and then added chopped up choc to the pan. The problem was, ,the butter was kind of separating from the chocolate. Almost like oily chocolate. so i wanted to do the dip and swirl method, but that didnt work out, so in the end, i kind of painted the chocolate on.  Grrrr it was a mess. It tasted really good though lol. So what did i do wrong??

Image Attachments
rsz_dsc01706.jpg

Posted: 09 March 2009 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, sounds like the chocolate got too hot and the cocoa butter separated.  If you’re not using a food processor, use a bowl.  Combine the hot cream and chopped chocolate, let sit for a minute or so, then stir steadily until fully blended and smooth.  Allow to cool, stirring occaisionally. For glaze (or dip and swirl), use it while thick put still pourable.  For spreadable ganache, it usually takes several hours to set.

Cupcakes look cute!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 10 March 2009 02:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I think you got those white swirls spot on!  Sorry to hear about your ganache.  I’ve made it many times without the food processor… Julie gave good advice.  I would probably have dipped the cupcakes in the warm ganache, which would have given you a more smooth finish.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 March 2009 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

thats what i tried but it wasn’t working. it was like too oily. I don’t get it.  I guess i will try it again.

Posted: 10 March 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

For the easiest ganache, I just melt equal parts chocolate and heavy cream slowly over a double boiler of barely simmering water - no butter.  Works well.  Will set up to a nice spreadable consistency after 8 or so hours, or use warm as a drizzle or glaze.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 March 2009 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

If your ganache breaks you can recover it by bringing 3 - 4 tablespoons of cream to a boil.  Then start whisking the broken ganache in to the cream.  Start off slowly but then you can add in greater quantities - just like making mayonnaise.  Works every time!

Annie

Posted: 10 March 2009 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

good to know. thanks!

Posted: 10 March 2009 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

if you bake your cake a tiny bit smaller than the cup you can pour it in and the top of the cup will hold it in place for a no mess finish.

they look delish.

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 11 March 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

The cupcakes look really good. You did a great job with the swirls. Looks like the real thing. I hope you figure out what went wrong with your ganache. Try making it again. It’s worth mastering. As Patricia said you don’t necessarily need a food processor to make it.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 March 2009 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Ski, these look awesome! You nailed the white swirls. smile

Posted: 12 March 2009 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

You sure did get the white swirls perfect!  They look great.