2 of 2
No Knead Bread Revised
Posted: 14 December 2007 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

I was too tired last night by the time I was done to start the bread again, but I’m going to try to bite the bullet this evening.

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 14 December 2007 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-12-09

Tiffany, I tried CIs poulet en cocotte last night and it was certainly delicious. And easy as well. Maybe this is the way to do chicken from now on. No mess. Lots of flavor.

Yesterday morning I baked a couple of loaves of Swedish limpa and gave one to my German neighbor. After trying it she went ecstatic.

Posted: 15 December 2007 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2007-11-15
Baker Bob - 14 December 2007 08:20 PM

... I tried CIs poulet en cocotte last night and it was certainly delicious. And easy as well.

I’ve made this too, and was definitely impressed with the ease of the preparation AND the flavor. The jus is fabulous, and I simmered the bones this afternoon to make a bit of broth.

I made some dark meat chicken salad with the scraps, definitely a nicely flavored bird.

(and now I’m tempted to try their oatmeal cookies, thanks to the rec,  but I’m hip deep in holiday baking and can’t make time for this one yet.)

Posted: 09 July 2009 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-07-09

Bob, your updated version of the No-Knead sounds great. I would like to give it a try and use the starter instead. Need to see if i can muster up my smallest dutchoven. Oh, i know i can use other pans but i am sure to get iron into the bread as well. Every tried baking it outside?

Posted: 05 January 2011 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-11-20
Baker Bob - 10 December 2007 04:09 PM

Tiffany, the pie plate sounds like a fine idea. Even an 8” or 9” diameter pan should work.

Let me point out the primary differences in my approach and the NYTimes and CI methods. The NYT uses much more water, 80% hydration. The dough is so wet and sticky it’s very hard to form into a loaf and actually get it into the Dutch oven. The crumb is wonderful and full of large holes. The crust is thick and crackly just like a French bread. The flavor is a bit bland, so many critics say.

The CI approach uses 65% hydration, that is, the weight of water used is 65% the weight of the flour. Now you can actually handle the dough and gently form it into a loaf. You can also dust it with flour so it takes on a real artisan appearance, and slice it for improved expansion. Beer and vinegar are added to improve flavor.

I experimented with all beer and no beer, as well as no vinegar. I could not tell that either offered a real improvement. I also cut the salt by one third as I felt the other recipes were too salty. Also I am now adding a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten which seems to make the crumb a little nicer. Surprisingly I found that bread flour made a more tender crumb than unbleached regular flour. I made the mistake once of not turning the heat down from 500 degrees to 425. The higher temperature works fine and the bread is ready after 30 minutes (internal temperature of about 205). It’s not necessary to bake with the lid removed. But do so for an even crustier crust if you wish. Aluminum foil works about as well as parchment paper and can be reused.

Do you have the weight of flour in grams and the volume of water in ml for the 65% hydration? i have also found the original dough far too wet. Thanks

2 of 2