1 of 2
Fun Questions
Posted: 12 March 2009 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I thought I would put some questions out there for everyone as a fun post.

1) Where are you located in the world?
2) How long have you been baking for?
3) What is your favorite thing to bake/cook?
4) What is your LEAST favorite thing to cook/bake?
5) Do you do it professionally or for enjoyment?

I’ll start.
1) I am in Rochester, NY and I hate it here. It is very cold all the time!!!!
2) I am 27 and I just started baking this year!
3) I am not sure what my favorite thing to bake is, I am a big fan of just regular cakes though (round layer cakes) although I have recently become a fan of the sheet cakes (maybe because of the challenge). I also love baking cookies, I like soft cookies and HATE when someone bakes a crunchy cookie (personal opinion).  As far as cooking, I like making anything that tastes good.
4) I am not a big fan of baking pies- mostly because I am not good in working with crust. I’m sure soon enough I will have Rose’s pie book so i can figure out how to do crusts better.
5) I do it all for enjoyment although in a perfect world, I would love to quit my job and bake full time.  Or I’d like to be employed by Ace of Cakes haha.

Posted: 12 March 2009 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Hi Ski,

I like these questions! What a nice change of pace.

1. I live in Los Angeles, although I grew up in Buffalo, NY, so I understand your frustration with Rochester’s weather.
2. I am 42 years old, and I have been baking since I was a child. When my great-grandmother told me she knew how to bake bread by the time she was 9 years old, I decided that was a cool thing and I learned to bake bread by that age as well (although the whole wheat loaves I used to make were dry and crumbly.)
3. My favorite thing to bake are cakes, but I also love pastries.
4. My least favorite thing in the kitchen is having to do a lot of vegetable preparation. So, making salad is a chore. But I adore fresh vegetables and salad—- I just wish somebody else would prepare it.
5. I cook totally for enjoyment. I have never been a professional cook or baker, although people have urged me to start a cake business. I have to say, God bless those who can do it professionally. Dealing with the public, especially with all the Bridezillas out there, requires a special kind of patience and a willingness to put up with hassles. I could not deal with it.

Posted: 12 March 2009 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04
Christine S. - 12 March 2009 07:02 PM

Hi Ski,

I like these questions! What a nice change of pace.

1. I live in Los Angeles, although I grew up in Buffalo, NY, so I understand your frustration with Rochester’s weather.
2. I am 42 years old, and I have been baking since I was a child. When my great-grandmother told me she knew how to bake bread by the time she was 9 years old, I decided that was a cool thing and I learned to bake bread by that age as well (although the whole wheat loaves I used to make were dry and crumbly.)
3. My favorite thing to bake are cakes, but I also love pastries.
4. My least favorite thing in the kitchen is having to do a lot of vegetable preparation. So, making salad is a chore. But I adore fresh vegetables and salad—- I just wish somebody else would prepare it.
5. I cook totally for enjoyment. I have never been a professional cook or baker, although people have urged me to start a cake business. I have to say, God bless those who can do it professionally. Dealing with the public, especially with all the Bridezillas out there, requires a special kind of patience and a willingness to put up with hassles. I could not deal with it.

Buffalo to LA?? Sounds like heaven to me!! I am about to make the switch and relocate within the next year or so (just don’t know where yet).

Posted: 13 March 2009 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2007-11-19

Hello skiweaver,

1. I’m in Sydney, Australia and we have had a beautiful summer. The weather will not change until after Easter.
2. You are younger than my youngest!
3. I love baking cakes and pastries, not so interested in bread. I baked cakes all the time when I was a teenager. When I married, had 3 children, a business and a husband who was on call 24 hours for his job, baking was a luxury. Now the children have grown and flown, we have retired and I can indulge myself once again.
4. Deep frying is my pet peeve because of the grease dispelled in the atmosphere. I wish I always had a maid to clean up after me in the kitchen.
5. I bake for enjoyment. It’s therapeutic to put ingredients together and see it emerge as something totally different from the oven. With TCB, the odds are on my side all the time.

What a curious nickname? Are you a ski addict like me?

Posted: 13 March 2009 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I used to waterski (slalom) so thats where the name came from. I haven’t waterskied since probably 5 years now but the name sticks to everythign internet related lol.

Posted: 13 March 2009 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

1.  I’m in N.Wales, part of the UK.  I visited Buffalo, where my cousin lives, and Rochester in 1958!
2.    Like geejay, you are younger than my youngest, who are twins.
3.    I like to bake more than cook and am now getting into baking bread.
4.    I don’t like day to day cooking, I would prefer someone to do it for me, some hope!!!!
5.    Baking to me is like a hobby, I like the creative side, and I’m not that bothered about eating what I make but I like to serve my cakes etc. to others. LOL

Posted: 13 March 2009 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

wow it is so interesting seeing how far away a lot of you are!

Posted: 13 March 2009 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-05

I’m in Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Since my parents got me an easy bake oven when I was a little kid!  I started collecting Bon Appetit magazines when I was 9 and made “Thanksgiving” dinner (I   actually made it for my mom’s birthday in March, but it was a full Thanksgiving meal) when I was 14.
    I’m single, so I always bake to share.  That means that my favorite things to bake are the things that my friends and family love to receive the most.
    I love homemade soup, but all the chopping is a real hassle.  I couldn’t do it without my food processor!
    I did pick up some catering side jobs for a few years, but now I just do it for my enjoyment.  I do dream about opening a bakery someday though.

Posted: 13 March 2009 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

1) I am in Wisconsin, have been for 25 years. (Almost half my life!)
2) I used to “help” my mom when I was a kid (that was quite a while ago!) but didn’t start baking a lot until I met my husband and settled down, in my 30s.
3) I am particularly proud of my fruit pies, but I like baking just about anything.
4) The part of cooking I like the least? Deciding what to make for dinner. Fortunately, my husband usually takes care of that.
5) I bake for enjoyment.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 13 March 2009 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Great idea Ski!

1 - I’m living in Virginia, USA. 
2 - I started baking in high school about 25 years ago. 
3 - My favorite thing to bake… wedding cakes!!!!!!  Basically I like to cook big - I could (and do) chop for hours.  I really like winter time cooking, stews, soups, roasts, etc.
4 - I agree with geejay - my least favorite is deep frying - a mess I can easily live without (and I hate the smell of oil left in the air for days).
5 - Purely for the love of it, but wouldn’t mind being hired to do it every now and then.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 14 March 2009 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

1) I’m in Applecross, in the North-west Highlands of Scotland.
2) Ever since I could stand on a stool to reach the counter.
3) Any baking at all but if I REALLY had to choose it would have to be bread.  But I make cakes, bars, pies & tarts, croissants, bread and chocolates.  I also like adjusting and testing recipes.
4) I tend to avoid lots of apple pies as I do not like spending hours peeling, coring and chopping apples.  I don’t like making pies where raw meat is involved (I make good pork pies but don’t like making them).
5) I am semi-professional.  I sell most of what I make but haven’t given up the day job yet!

Posted: 18 March 2009 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Hello Ski,

1) I live in Corvallis, Or. and I love it here.
2) I am 34 and I just started baking this past December.
3) I love making pastries of all types, but my favorite thing to bake is the Buche de Noel. I just love that cake, despite the difficulties baking a genoise presents.
4) I’m not sure there is anything I don’t enjoy cooking or baking. I love doing both. What I really hate is the clean up afterward. I hate doing dishes, but even more I hate filth, especially filth that creates a breeding ground for the nasty stuff (I’m a bit OCD about cleanliness, especially in the kitchen). I will not tolerate any sort of infestation whether it’s on the micro level or the macro level. I mean seriously, that’s just icky.
5) I just make cakes for fun. I don’t have the time or the skills to do this professionally. My real job is in toxicology, but like you, I would love to work at Charm City Cakes (I have a bit of a “schoolboy crush” on Katie). Too bad I live on the other side of the continent.

This is a really cool thread you started here, Ski. Thanks for starting it. It’s been really nice getting to know you here like this (and everyone else, too). I look forward to more of your posts. They’re always very interesting and fun to read. Stay cool, Ski, and I’ll “see” you around the board.

~Matthew smile

Posted: 19 March 2009 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I’m glad you all liked these questions. I wish more people would reply!  Anyhoo, when the board gets ‘slow’ I will do more posts like this!

Posted: 20 March 2009 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

1) Greensboro, NC
2) I’ve been making chocolate chip cookies with my mom and sister since I was little. I started baking cakes after having children about 7 years ago. I have a terrible sweet tooth and a passion for trying lots of recipes, so I make all kinds of things when I have time! If I had a week alone and money wasn’t an issue, I think I would spend the whole time going through my backlog of recipes to try.
3) My favorite thing to bake is probably still a good ol’ chocolate chip oatmeal walnut cookie. I love the art of making a cake, though. I don’t make pies often, but I love the taste and texture of a homemade pie crust, so I like to make them when I have time.
4) I don’t like making sandwiches to pack for lunches!! Usually, I just steer clear of making something that I don’t enjoy making.
5) I do it for enjoyment, but am dabbling with the idea of starting a business. Christine S. makes a good point, though, about having to deal with the public. I hope that if I do it from home, I won’t be dealing with the “public.” I wonder if I could choose to make cakes only for “friends” - have a limit on it like on Facebook or LinkedIn… Tee-hee…

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 04 April 2009 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Denver, Colorado USA. A semi-arid desert region aka often dry, hot summers, mild winters, wet snowy springs (tonight we have a short blizzard blowing through, but it will be over and done with in about 8-10 hours and it will be 65 degrees and sunny again).

Recreationally: most of my 30 years of life; Professionally: about 10 years

Cooking: Indian curries; Baking: all types of simple cakes, brownies, and scones!

Cooking: anything fried because of the mess and smell
baking: I hate to do wedding cakes. I spent 1.5 years doing practically nothing but baking and decorating wedding cakes as a young apprentice in a hotel. The cakes I had to do were not interesting at all. They were the most boring, generic wedding cakes you could possible ever make. Because of that, I won’t do fancy, elaborate cakes (weird huh?).

Both! I have two professional jobs that keep me plenty busy, but when I have time, I will bake at home, as I find it relaxing, sensual, and it gives me an outlet for my creativity.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 April 2009 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-04-04

Hi all, interesting to read all your replies…

Am from Singapore, its all time summer here… sometimes raining, the coolest here is like 21c
but I like here, if I want to experience cold… let’s travel (haa)

My hubby won an oven last year in a lucky draw… so since then, on & off I’ve been baking…. getting more often.

I like to bake cakes, cupcakes…& Roast Chicken with lotsa veggies.

I don’t like to bake or cook stuffs that end up very greasy, it’s difficult to clean up.

I do it for enjoyment and seeing my family, and friends enjoy the food.

Have a lovely day ahead!

1 of 2

‹‹ Need Suggestions      Buttercream Help ››