Checkerboard Fantasy Cake
Posted: 12 March 2009 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

Hi everybody,

I made my first checkerboard cake last night and brought into work today. Some of my checkers were a little crooked, though. I hope it turns out better next time I make it. I’m not sure how to fix that issue. I suppose once you remove the rings it’s really out of your hands and you’re at the mercy of the pastry Gods. I tried to be as careful as possible when removing the rings but things still got a little crooked on me.

Well here it is:

Here are the last two cakes I brought to the office.

I brought this one in for Valentine’s Day. I forgot to bring my camera to the office that day and didn’t get a pic of what it looked like when it was cut into. This was a three-layer Red Velvet Cake with a cream cheese frosting so it was just red and white on the inside.

I brought this one in just before Christmas. It was okay, but I lost a lot of the pastry cream when I rolled it. I need to improve my rolling technique so I don’t lose so much of the pastry cream next time. It was my first time making this cake. This also happens to be my favorite cake to make.

Any and all tips/advice on how to improve my techniques/methods will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted: 12 March 2009 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Very impressive Matthew. I hope your co-workers know how lucky they are!!! When making the buche de Noel Rose suggests using 2 cups of filling. It is the perfect amount (I think) and it all stays inside the cake. Just my two cents worth.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 March 2009 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Thank you for the kind words and the advice, Rozanne. I really appreciate it.

~Matthew smile

Posted: 12 March 2009 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

They all look really yummy. I’d love to do a taste test on every cake you posted!

I thought the checkerboard cake looked just fine.

Posted: 13 March 2009 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Great job on all the cakes!  I thought the checkerboard looked good too.

Posted: 13 March 2009 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2007-11-19

Excellent job on the checkerboard. If you look closely at the colour photo in TCB, you will see the squares are not perfect either. I’ve made it a few times and there is always a bit of unevenness somewhere, so don’t be too hard on yourself. It looks fine!

Posted: 13 March 2009 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

GREAT JOB! All those cakes look great!!!!!  I think your checkerboard looks perfect!!

Posted: 13 March 2009 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

MP, I love these cakes!  Your checkerboard looks great- it’s the surprise of the thing that is so delightful, seeing the pattern when it is sliced (well, that, and the surprise of how good it tastes when you eat that first bite!)

Your Red Velvet is beautiful, which recipe did you use?

I absolutely love your roulade, it is my husband’s favorite cake.  He asked for the holiday version as his birthday cake this year!  All I can think of about the filling is to chill the pastry cream thoroughly before rolling so it will be firm enough (just be careful spreading it so it doesn’t tear the cake), but maybe you already did that?  Sometimes a cake filling needs a firmer pastry cream recipe than a pie filling. 

Thanks so much for sharing, it was great to see these.

By the way, how did you manage to post such large pictures and so many of them?  When I post, I have to shrink the pics and I can only fit three or four…

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 13 March 2009 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Thanks for all the kind words, everybody.

Julie,

I used a recipe by “Cakeman Raven” for the red velvet cake. It’s posted in another thread I started with questions about that cake.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/828/

To post pictures here I uploaded my pics in my “bucket” at http://www.photobucket.com You c.an set up an account for free with that site. Once you have your pics uploaded it will provide links for sharing, a link to the image, or an image code. I used the image code to post here. When you drag the cursor over the pic you want to post on a message board like this, a menu will appear letting you select sharing, link, or image. Clicking on the option want automatically copies the code for you and then all you have to do is paste the link or image code into your post. I don’t know why you had to shrink yours, maybe it’s the site you’re using. This message board never asked me to shrink my pics. I hope you find a picture service you like.

Also, I did not use the Buche de Noel recipe from TCB. I used one by Francois Payard (one of my pastry chef heroes). I was unaware of TCB at the time so the recipe from there never crossed my mind. I just started making cakes a few months ago. The Buche de Noel was the first real cake (not a store-bought box cake) I ever made. I just learned about TCB about two months ago. I’m really glad somebody turned me onto this book. If you’re interested, I can send you a PM or an email with the recipe I used. Just let me know.

~Matthew smile

Posted: 13 March 2009 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Nice job Monsieur!  I’d like a piece of each please smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 March 2009 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Wow!!  Excellent job Matthew!  Your crumb is perfect and your cakes look perfectly moist… something I still struggle with.  Thanks for sharing how to load pictures.  I was using the direct method from my laptop.  Congrats on a job well done.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 March 2009 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Thank you for the kind words, Patrica and tbartley. I’ll be sure to put you on the mailing list with the rest. Your samples should be there in a few days wink.

It’s also worth mentioning that I’m not necessarily trying to promote photobucket per se. It’s just the site that I used and I know how to explain it. There are other photo-sharing sites like this one out there and it’s really a matter of which one you want to use. I don’t have accounts with them, but I have heard good things about snapfish and flickr. In any case, they’re really nice for sharing pics on message boards like this one or in emails and PMs.

~Matthew smile