Wedding cake, groom’s cake, and super fruity mousseline.
Posted: 10 December 2007 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-12-03

Love the new forum!  I posted as AnnieBlue a few times on the blog requesting help with my brother’s wedding cake, and Patrincia asked for pictures in this thread.  Well, I couldn’t figure out how to link or post them there (I tried to post, but it never showed up), so I hope it works here.

All the recipes were from Rose’s wonderful cake book.  I modified the mousseline buttercream by whipping in nearly a pound of fruit puree per batch.  It held the emulsion and tasted intensely fruity, barely buttery at all.  The secret is to work the fruit in very very slowly, a spoonful at a time, but this mixture doesn’t freeze well and tends to break after thawing.  It’s delicious fresh though.

The simple beribboned wedding cake is pictured on my blog here.  The Transformers Optimus Prime groom’s cake is pictured on my blog here.  I also made a little cake for the brother of the bride.  He and his wife were celebrating their first wedding anniversary the day after my brother’s wedding, so I decided to surprise them with a 6-inch 3-layer All American Chocolate Cake soaked with Chambord syrup, filled with two layers of raspberry buttercream, and covered with a mixture of 2/3 white fondant and 1/3 chocolate fondant, all painted gold to match their wedding theme of gold and autumn leaves.  That’s pictured here:

Posted: 10 December 2007 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

I just went on to your blog and saw the cakes and I think you did a splendid job. I would never have guessed your only experience was baking pound cakes with a dusting of powdered sugar for decoration. Great job!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 December 2007 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  124
Joined  2007-11-18

How lovely!

Signature 

“There is no such thing as reconstituted lemon juice, only reconstituted taste buds.” - Bert Greene

Posted: 11 December 2007 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Very Beautiful!

Posted: 13 December 2007 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-03

Thanks!  I did make many many practice cakes first.  Everybody was pretty sick of cake by the end.

Posted: 13 December 2007 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh AnnieBlue - the wedding cake turned out FABULOUSLY!!!  Bravo to you!!!  (ps - I don’t have time now, but will read your blog later)

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 December 2007 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-03

Thanks!  No need to read the blog (unless you want to).  I just linked those pages because they describe what’s in the cakes.

Posted: 18 December 2007 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Your cakes are Beautiful!  Great job.

Posted: 18 March 2008 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-02-03

VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!  Brava!!!

Posted: 19 March 2008 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2008-02-28

Annie, I am IMPRESSED!  Silly questions:  Are those autumn leaves made out of anything edible?  If so, what?  (I’ve made autumn leaves out of fruit roll-ups cut into shapes and painted with food coloring.)

Re practice cakes:  When I first was learning how to decorate cakes, I was working in a large office, and volunteered to bring in cakes for EVERYONE’s birthday, service anniversary, shower, and so on.  I got practiced up really fast, and I was everyone’s best friend!

Posted: 24 March 2008 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-24

Annie ~ your cakes are great.  I did read your blogs.  I too made a great wedding cake for my son’s wedding in the fall.  I made fondant ribbons around the layers.  Yours look like satin.  Did the grease come out of the cake or fondant and stain the ribbon?

Posted: 07 July 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-07-02

Great choice of garnish with the leaves! Do you sell wedding cakes on http://www.gatheringguide.com/ec/wedding_cakes_bakeries.html or another listing? I saw some with leaves but I think they were made out of thick sugar icing and didn’t look as delicate, but I’ve lost the bookmark now.

Posted: 07 July 2009 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Lovely cakes, Annie!  I love the brown and pink color scheme for the wedding cake.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe