Ideas? Wanto make bicycles for toppers..what to use?
Posted: 14 March 2009 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-03-14

Hello everyone.  I will be making a bicycle themed cake and cupcakes in a couple of weeks.  I would love to try and make the bicycles myself instead of buying plastic toppers.  I just want simple bicycles…what could I use to make them?  Thoughts have been…very thick royal icing, gumpaste or even chocolate plastic. 

I haven’t worked with royal icing a lot but in my mind it seems that it would be the easiest to make spokes and detail with.  Have I gone totally overboard?  grin

What would you do…open to ALL input.
Thanks so much!

Posted: 14 March 2009 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I would start with google images for ‘bicycle cake’ and see what can be done.

Wilton may have a specialty pan or neat decoration idea, too.

I am so sorry, I make cakes, not bicycles =)

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 14 March 2009 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

Do you want the bicycles to stand up or are they to be flat against the sides or top of the cake?

If they will sit flat on the cake, one way to make them is to use a chocolate transfer - Liv and Kaye Hansen go over this method in excellent detail their book Whimsical Bakehouse.  She’s amazingly talented with chocolate transfers, and it would be easy to do once you found a graphic or photo or clip art of the kind of bicycle you want to do.  If you go this way, it will help if you coat the entire back with white chocolate for strength and support.  Make more than one; in fact do three. smile

If you are doing it so it stands up, you need some support.  One way is to make a bicycle cookie, and decorate it on both sides. 

If you want to model it from gum paste, I would form the bicycle body and handle bars from wire, and cover it (you can find wrapped wire at the craft store.  I’ve seen it in green and brown.  If you want the bike to be a different color, you could cover it with fondant once you shape it and then paint it.  But that won’t look very sleek.).  You can form the wheels from black fondant mixed with some gum trag so it dries faster. you’d cut the circle, then use small rectangular cutters (sold from Squires Kitchen in the UK) or an exacto knife to cut the centers to make the spokes.  The bike body would probably need to rest on the tires.  I guess that would depend on what kind of bike it is.

I would probably not try to push my luck that it won’t break by planning it so it leans against something.  smile  Sounds like fun!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 15 March 2009 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-14

Hector- I did try the bicycle cake search and did get some ideas but most were pics of cakes shapped like a bicycle.  I was looking more for a bicycle that would stand up on top of the cupcakes grin 
Thanks for repling and the ideas too!

Posted: 15 March 2009 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-14

Jeanne——great ideas!  Thanks so much.  I hadn’t thought of the cookies for wheels or the wire either.  Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and all the great ideas!!!
Have a great week