2 of 2
fondant question
Posted: 19 March 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
AndyNYCK - 19 March 2009 02:53 AM

I can’t say for sure but I could swear that I read somewhere that fondant should not be stored in the refrigerator or be frozen if you intend on using it again

I made a batch of fondant last night for a cake I have to do for Sunday. I’m going to freeze a bit of it as an experiment. Rose says it can be frozen for 2 months. I know professionals refrigerate fondant covered cakes in their low-humidity fridges. The fridges made for home use are not conducive to storing these cakes. Maybe the plain fondant will freeze better b/c unlike cakes there is no extra moisture from buttercream and the cake itself that can be absorbed. Just my two cents worth.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 March 2009 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

I have frozen fondant before and it was fine. Double-wrapped in cling film, then wrapped in double layer of paper towels, then the whole thing was put in a freezer bag.  When I wanted to defrost it, I just took out the bag without opening it and let it sit until it was room temperature. That way it minimized the danger of condensation forming on the fondant while it defrosted; and if there were any condensation, hopefully the paper towel would absorb the moisture before it hit the fondant. Tasted ok too.

Posted: 19 March 2009 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-03-13

Thats great. I am going to try that . I did read that the consistancy would change if you were going to work with it again. Obviously a finished cake is OK because it is done and the next step is your fork. However if you have done it then I need to try that. Wether you buy it or make it, the quantities are greater than I need at one time and it will save so much time and money to be able to store it that way.

Posted: 25 March 2009 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

I found a piece of fondant in my pantry today. It was from Nov of last year. I had forgotten all about it. I softened it in the microwave for a few seconds. It was a little too dry so I added some shortening to it and it was as good as the day I made it. Tasted fine too. I had wrapped it in plastic wrap, placed it in an air tight container and put it in my pantry in the basement. So I guess if it is well stored it will last for a long time. Of course my basement is like the North Pole.  LOL

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

2 of 2