1 of 3
Buttercream Help
Posted: 21 March 2009 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-11-17

Hi. I’m new. Hope you can help me.
I am making cupcakes for my step-daughters upstate NY wedding, this June. She’s switched the venue to all outdoors.
I was planning on making the whole egg Buttercream I love to use, or, Rose’s mousseline.
I need to know if anyone has a good idea of what will work best, for her frosting and piped hydrangeas. I will need to set up the cupcake trees, go home and get ready, and get back for the wedding. If it’s a warm day, any suggestions on what’s most likely to hold up?
I should add that I do have some Cobesan cream stabilizer.
Thank you! Jo

Posted: 21 March 2009 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Mousseline will hold up best of all Rose’s buttercreams, but will the cupcakes be stored indoors or out?  I would definitely suggest they be stored inside until service, not only because of the heat, but because anything floating around in the air (bugs, pollen, etc) will stick to the buttercream.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 March 2009 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Upstate NY warm????

Posted: 21 March 2009 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

My childhood memories of vacationing at Lake George in the summertime - there were definitely some warm days/nights.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 21 March 2009 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

lake George is really nice, and it can get warm in June/July/August, mostly becuase of the humidity….I just joke because 80% of the time upstate is soo cold (to me)

Posted: 21 March 2009 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
skiweaver9 - 21 March 2009 03:43 PM

lake George is really nice, and it can get warm in June/July/August, mostly becuase of the humidity….I just joke because 80% of the time upstate is soo cold (to me)

Oh, I see wink.

Have no fear… the heat and humidity aren’t far away.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 21 March 2009 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-11-17

Ok. I’m in the Albany area and it’s a bit warmer than Lake George. The (upstate) problem is that it can be 90 or 60degrees, that time of year. I will be storing them covered, and in the facility’s refrigerator. But, they’ll have to be out and set-up ahead of time, so I can get dressed up. I’m looking for my best options. When it gets warmer, I can experiment with whatever responses I receive. Thanks!

Posted: 21 March 2009 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I agree with you there. The temp sure can vary!!!

Posted: 05 April 2009 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

I just found a great video on youtube for making Buttercream with the closest technique and ingredients to Rose. It is a great visual. Go to : http://www.youtube.com/watch?vs=IxWmiHRTMz8 By th.e way, what do you think of the extra sugar (10 oz) in this recipe?

Posted: 05 April 2009 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

I don’t think that link worked but it’s the video from Cakelove for Italian Meringue Buttercream…a fellow named Warren Brown. Just search for Italian Meringue Buttercream.

Posted: 05 April 2009 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-11-18

TOFUSALEM:
  Good Sunday morning to you. All I did was to put “BUTTERCREAM FROSTING” in the search box & there are grin  many many choices there for a baker to view.
  Enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.

Posted: 05 April 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

I know there are many to view. This one in my opinion is the best

Posted: 06 April 2009 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
tofusalem - 05 April 2009 12:56 PM

I don’t think that link worked but it’s the video from Cakelove for Italian Meringue Buttercream…a fellow named Warren Brown. Just search for Italian Meringue Buttercream.

I’ve seen it… it’s a basic Italian Meringue Buttercream recipe.  I believe Bill uses extra sugar when he makes Mousseline, so it should work just fine.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Martha Stewart’s IMBC has more sugar too. I made it years ago (when I hadn’t even heard of TCB) and it turned out well. I prefer Rose’s recipe though. Even when I make Bill’s chocolate version I still use Rose’s recipe for the base.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 April 2009 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-04

Patricia and Rozanne, do you use “real” egg whites when you do your Buttercream or the egg whites in the carton? All this talk about safety in uncooked whites has me worried. I know you’ve had discussions about this. Do you feel that the heated syrup brought to 248 and then added to the beaten egg whites cooks them enough? There is a recipe which cooks the egg whites and sugar first until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved which they say is 160 degrees, then beats the heated mixture until thickened and then adds the butter after it is cooled enough. I’m thinking the buttercream would be a different consistency. What are your feelings…even though you’ve spoken of this ad infinitum!

Posted: 06 April 2009 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

I always use the pasteurized egg whites. I have kids, so for me it’s better safe than sorry. The recipe where the sugar and egg whites are brought to 160F is called Swiss Meringue buttercream. I make it very often b/c it is faster and more convenient for me. It doesn’t hold up at very high temperatures as well as the Italian Merigue buttercream though. I have used it for my daughter’s b’day parties which are always held outdoors because it’s in July and it has held up well. But if it is extremely hot it may not hold up. The consistency is almost similar in both buttercreams.
The heat from the sugar isn’t sufficient to cook the egg whites so if you are concerned I would suggest using the egg whites in the cartons.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

1 of 3