2 of 2
I Baked A Cake!!
Posted: 05 April 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

My jar of Hellman’s Mayo (Best Foods east of the Mississippi River) lists mustard seed (i.e mustard powder) as an ingredient. It’s supposed to lend a subtle rounded flavor to the mayo, but you shouldn’t necessarily taste the mustard.

All recipes I’ve used to make mayo here at home have included a small amount of mustard powder.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Weird.  Hellmann’s is sold here in VA.  Ingredients are soybean oil, whole eggs, vinegar, water, egg yolks, salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA (used to protect quality).  No mention of mustard.  According to the website, both Hellmann’s and Best Foods mayos are the same - Hellmann’s east of the Rockies, Best foods west of the Rockies.  Maybe you have a light or reduced fat version?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

The Hellman’s sold here (in Canada) doesn’t contain any mustard.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 April 2009 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Julia Child’s recipe for mayonnaise uses mustard. I buy either Trader Joe’s Organic which has mustard. Or Whole Food’s which I think has mustard. I don’t have any in the house at the moment so I can’t say for sure. I buy those two brands primarily because they don’t contain sweeteners and they use quality oils.
Sorry I haven’t followed my own thread. I haven’t been getting email notifications on every thread. Kind of weird.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 13 April 2009 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Just looked at the Hellman’s label here (UK) and it contains mustard flavouring (oh dear!) and parika extract.  Think I’ll just stick to home-made.

Gene, would you post a link to your pizza dough recipe, please?  I make loads of sourdough pizza.

Annie

Posted: 15 April 2009 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

Hi Annie,
The historical pizza discussion is…
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2006/02/pizza_praise.html

I have been working on my recipe and it is now this…

Gene’s Pizza Dough

Equipment:
  Large mixing bowl, wire whisk, spatula, blender.
Ingredients:
  10 oz peeled and diced Yukon gold potato
  3 cups water
  1 cup buttermilk
  1/3 cup grape/canola oil
  1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
  2 tsp fine sea salt
  5 1/2 cups all purpose unbleached flour

Potato Puree
  Cover the potato with 2 cups of the water and cook medium/low heat 30 minutes.
  Let cool and blend the potato and cooking water together.

Combine
  1 cup potato puree
  1 cup of the water
  1 cup buttermilk
  1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
  2 tsp fine sea salt. Add two cups of the flour. Beat that up into a paste with the whisk.
Drizzle oil while beating with the whisk until the oil emulsifies. The mixture will turn whiter and thicken slightly. Sort of like mayonnaise. 
Add 3 1/2 cups more flour. Use the spatula to work in the flour. Knead into a smooth dough. If the dough is too sticky to knead add flour 1/4 cup at a time until it becomes workable.
 Let rise at @65 overnight.

I would be fascinated to hear how this dough performs in your oven.

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2009 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Thanks for the recipe, Gene.  I’ll try it but may convert to S/D.  Do you think the Caputo 00 flour would work?  Do you toss the pizzas?  I’m wondering if this dough would stand the handling (or should I say throwing!).  I’ll convert to grams and then work out the hydration.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.
Annie

Posted: 15 April 2009 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-24

I have used the Caputo a few times and it works well. I think it will be too soft to toss reliably. One of the purposes of this recipe is to soften the high gluten content of our American flour. I just threw up my hands at figuring out the hydration. The potato puree is a puzzler to me. Does one have to account for the natural moisture in the raw potato? Then what about the evaporation losses during cooking? I wondered if buttermilk is used in the UK?

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Gene, I’ve never used buttermilk in pizza dough but I use it for many other things.  I’ll skip the math too then and judge the hydration when I mix it.  If it’s too wet it’s difficult to peel into the oven.  Watch this space!

Annie

2 of 2

‹‹ Cupcakes and Cake      Wrong Place! ››