Melting Pie Crusts- Help!
Posted: 24 March 2009 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-03-24

Hello to everyone! I have been trying to understand this little problem for some time now, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! When I make pie crusts, I usually fit the crust into the pan I am using, freeze the crust for at least 2 hours, and then I blind-bake at the suggested temperature. 95% of the time the crust disintegrates in the oven and seems to melt. It has happened with recipes where the butter is cut into the flour or sugar, melted first and then blended into other ingredients, and also in recipes where it is creamed into the dry ingredients. I will leave here a sample crust and directions:

2 1/4 cups or 300 grams unbleached flour
3/4 cup or 150 grams sugar
pinch salt
1 stick or 115 grams butter, room temperature
1/4 cup or 50 grams lard, room temperature
1 egg
2 yolks

The butter and lard are cut into the dry ingredients, then the eggs are slowly and separately stirred into the mixture. It is then kneaded, rolled out to 1/4” and put in a springform pan. I refrigerated it for 2 hours even though the directions were 30 minutes. It was baked in a 350F oven for 15 minutes. When I first put the dough into the pan, it was perfect in consistancy, no holes, patching etc. When it came out, it was sliding down the springform walls and I was able to patch it but it was an unhappy sight at first. What can I do?

Thanks to everyone!

Posted: 25 March 2009 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-03-24

it is a funny recipe for the pie crust! Thank you for your tip and Rose’s recipe…I’ve cooked with her before and I must say that her recipes stand the test of time and if they don’t she has already information to tell you why not!

I’ll retry the recipe with your advice though! Thanks!

‹‹ Chocolate Caramel Tart      Strudel Napoleon? ››