Lemon cream illusion—cake base?
Posted: 25 March 2009 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-20

Hi there,

I’m looking to make a cake involving the lemon cream illusion.  I want a really simple cake base that’s not too fussy so a traditional charlotte is out of the question.  I’ve never made the lemon cream illusion, is this something I can frost the cake with or will I need to add gelatin and make it a mold?

Thanks!

Posted: 25 March 2009 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Hello, NC.  I made the lemon “cream” illusion about a year ago, and loved it.  I did use the gelatin, but still it seemed pretty soft.  I used it as a cake filling between layers of classic genoise, and used a buttercream dam around the edge to be sure there wouldn’t be any problems.  It sliced well (no dripping or running) and had the most ethereal texture- disappeared in your mouth, yet left an intense lemon flavor.  I used lemon curd mousseline as the outside frosting- truly a labor of love!

I don’t think it’s firm enough to frost a cake, it’s meant to be a filling.  However, it does firm up some as the gelatin sets.  I can think of two simple presentations for it.  One is to roll it with vanilla or almond or ginger Biscuit Roulade (definitely doesn’t need the optional syrup) and top with powdered sugar at serving time (similar presentation to almond biscuit roulade with raspberry cloud cream on p12 of TCB).  The other would be to layer it between torted layers of yellow cake, leaving the sides unfrosted so that the filling is visible peeking out between layers, and putting a thicker, more swriled mound on top of the cake.  With either presentation you could add fresh raspberries for garnish.

Whatever you do, make sure the cake is thoroughly chilled to set the gelatin (if stacking layers you can chill them first), then you can bring it to room temp. at serving time.

Oh, there you’ve done it, now I want to eat some lemon cake!

Good Luck and let us know what you go with.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 28 March 2009 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your suggestion!  I decided to go with the White Genoise with the lemon cream illusion for the filling and the lemon mousseline for the frosting.  I forgot to buy gelatin, so I’ll do the buttercream dam.  I’ll post a picture, hopefully the mousseline turns out!

Posted: 03 April 2009 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

Just an update…

My thermometer broke so I had a change of plans.  I used lemon curd as a filling and then tried to rejig the neoclassic buttercream (something that didn’t require a thermometer) and put some lemon curd and juice in there.  I wasn’t a huge fan of my redone version of the buttercream, but overall the cake was good.  The white genoise was moist and light—very tasty.

Posted: 15 April 2009 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi - I am in trouble. Last night I made a 3 layer sponge cake and don’t think I got the egg whites incorporated well enough or whipped too dry—or both. At any rate, the layers have small holes tiny bubbles. I saw these large bubbles rising as it baked. It has 2T lemon zest in it and wonder if lemon syruping
might help? Is that okay to do on cooled cake layers under lemon curd filling? Cake will have white choc whipped cream icing.
I have to serve tomorrow morning and am really down to the wire with no time to rebake. I recall Hector wrote once that he always syrups. I could do Rose’s basic on page 505, using lemon juice for liqueur? What would you do, short of rebaking? Help.

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 April 2009 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Is it possible to use other fruit for the lemon cream illusion? Or does it only work with lemon curd?

Posted: 15 April 2009 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Shimi, lemon cream illusion is fairly soft- I think other curds would work, but you might have to increase the gelatin or else add lemon juice to the curd to make it as thick as lemon curd. 

Joan, I’m not sure what exactly the problem is with your cake- does the finished texture have holes that are too large?  Many sponge cakes with whipped whites have somewhat larger holes if there isn’t butter or another fat in the batter.  What recipe are you using?  If the cake is dry, syruping would help.  It is no problem to add zest to a syrup for any cake (as long as the cake is compatible with syruping).  If you are still looking for more detailed help, consider starting a new topic.

Good Luck!

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2009 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Thanks Julie. My lime curd is pretty thick so maybe I’ll try that. Am thinking of pairing it with classic Genoise, frosting the cake with whipped cream, and putting toasted coconut flakes on the sides. Trying to figure out if I can add coconut cream into the whipped cream for a more pronounced coconut flavor.

Posted: 16 April 2009 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Shimi, that sounds like a nice cake!

I haven’t tried to add coconut milk to whipped cream, but I’m thinking that it could be done if you stabilize it with gelatin or agar.  Another interesting way to do it could be to stabilize the whipped cream with melted and cooled virgin coconut oil.  Health food stores carry it, it tastes coconut-y.  That would be a lot like stabilizing whipped cream with chocolate.

Signature