Rose factor and baking powder
Posted: 26 March 2009 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

Patrincia and anybody else who can help- I must be dense…I know I’ve read where others are confused over the Rose factor. The 3 tier Wedding cakes for 6,9,12 inch layers are set forth clearly in TCB.Then I look at the White base Cake on page 491 aand the Master chart for Butter Cakes on 490. I’m totally confused! Can you please help me figure out the Baking powder for a 14 inch layer? The chart on 490 says that the amounts are for 2 layers, so a 14 inch, 2 layer cake uses Rose Factor 10 for the 2 layers. On page 492 the baking powder amounts for yellow and white base cakes show 1 1/8 teaspoon per base. Do I double this amount giving me 2 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder for 2 14 inch layers? Then everything else , except the baking powder gets multiplied by 10?  Sorry to be so confusing, but for some reason it is for me.  I know you’ve baked the 6, 10 , 14 layers Patrincia.  Am I looking at this the right way. Thanks.

Posted: 26 March 2009 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

As far as I know the 14” cake is 2 layers, you don’t have to double the baking powder and then multiply by 10. All you have to do is multiply the 1 1/8t by 10. Only level 6 in the chart is for 1 layer which was an error in the book. http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2007/10/clarification_for_wedding_shee.html
I have never baked a 14” cake so I’m just going by what’s in the book. Hopefully Patricia or Jeanne (who have baked such large cakes) will answer this question.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 March 2009 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

I hope Patrincia answers, with all due respect. I know she has baked a 14 inch tier.  It doesn’t sound right..that means if my math is right ....something like 11 and some teaspoons of baking powder. I think the charts somehow should be more simplified for dumbies like me! LOL

‹‹ Cake Bible....      More Frosting Questions ››