Carrot Cake
Posted: 26 March 2009 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

So I made a carrot cake tonight. I didn’t see one in the cake bible so this is one I got from somewhere else. It has a cream cheese frosting. I dont know why, but I am always making lopsided cakes lol

Image Attachments
rsz_dsc01724.jpgrsz_dsc01725.jpg

Posted: 26 March 2009 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Looks delicious! There is a carrot cake recipe in TCB. It’s called Golden Wheat Carrot Ring. It’s not your typical carrot cake recipe but it is really, really good. Also it’s baked in a savarin ring but I know Hector has baked it in different shaped pans and it has worked well. Give it a try sometime.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 26 March 2009 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

By the way, I don’t think your cake is lopsided. But if you think it is, check the level of your oven. It could be as simple as that.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 March 2009 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-08-16

Yummy…. Ski.. What is on the sides?  Nuts?  Let me know how you like the recipe.  I have several recipes for carrot cake. It’s a favorite of my DH… I will have to checkout the one on CB.  My cakes often get a little lopsided too.  Maybe the filling not even… not sure.  I have even resorted to using a level… It looks delicous and is very pretty.

Posted: 27 March 2009 01:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

oh, dear, is YUMMY!!!!!!!  and what piping gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

can’t confirm, but i think Rose has new recipe for carrot cake on Heavenly Cakes!!!!!!

but till then, I continue to use her Carrot Ring recipe from Cake Bible, which is sublime but can’t be eaten refrigerated.

just had a shot of ILLY coffee, and will turn off my internet so to speed 2 hours on improving my web site.  Can’t wait for you all to see it.  And it will be $$$

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 27 March 2009 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks great, ski! Are those pecans on the sides?  Is the frosting a cream cheese one?  Thanks for sharing.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 27 March 2009 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

That looks lovely!  Carrot cake is one of my favourites, I love the way you’ve decorated it too.

Posted: 27 March 2009 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

yea they are pecans and cream cheese frosting.
I saw tcb carrot wheat ring thingy, but i couldn’t make that since i don’t have a pan like that, and i didn’t have wheat flour. I got the recipe off allrecipes.com - which is where i get MOST of my cooking recipes. I usually choose one that has 4.5-5 stars and 1000 reviews, that way you can tweak it like others have to make a perfect dish.

I haven’t tasted it yet, ill report back when i do.

Posted: 27 March 2009 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

when you say your cake is lopsided, you mean right to left, right?  i have the same problem! luckily that problem can usually be remedied by turning the cake around to a more pleasing side! however, if you want to correct this problem the easiest way is to center the cake on a turntable after you have torted and filled it and have someone spin the cake. Stand back a few feet from the cake and look for that errant layer (usually the top). at that point you can slide it over and also trim the sides, which many bakers do. be judicious, like cutting your bangs, cut too much and there’s no going back.

remember, no cake is ever perfect and very few people other than the baker ever notice!

jen

btw i think it looks great!

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 27 March 2009 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

HAHAHAHA that is exactly what i am talking about. Thats what i did in this picture i turned it to the ‘best’ side !!!! LOL

I tried cutting it once and it was disasterous. Maybe if i had a REALLY sharp knife it would work better, idk , i just always have a problem lol

Posted: 27 March 2009 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

use a bread knife, the serrated kind? and cut with a sawing motion. you may also want to try trimming before adding the filling. however, if you do, you’ve got to mark the cake in some way so that you can put the layers back together like a puzzle. some bakers cut a notch, martha uses toothpicks.

oh and cold! cold cake cuts more easily.

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 27 March 2009 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-11-15

I don’t care what you say, that is a gorgeous cake! smile

Signature 

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

Posted: 28 March 2009 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

i use a serrated knife and maybe it needs to be sharpened but i always end off taking too much. ill work on it.

BTW, the cake was AWESOME.  best carrot cake i’ve ever tasted, the recipe is definately a keeper.

Posted: 28 March 2009 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

Amy A, I just clicked on to your blog, Gosh! you certainly get through an awful lot of baking!!  Who eats it all?  I can see now why you run! LOL

Posted: 30 March 2009 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

That’s a beautiful cake, Ski! I love the pecans on the side. I also like using pecans on my cakes when I can. And I think your piping is done really well, too. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I can’t wait to see your next one.

~Matthew smile

‹‹ Wrong Place!      Golden Luxury Butter Cake ››