1 of 2
Rose’s Scottish Shortbread
Posted: 30 March 2009 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Has anyone made this in a molded pan? I have one of those very pretty Brown bag Cookie Art pans and I think they advise that you use a special recipe. I’d like to try Rose’s since I’ve no doubt hers would be great.

Posted: 30 March 2009 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

I have made Rose’s shortbread but never in a mold but I think Rose gives instructions if you want to bake it in one. Don’t have my book with me right now. My sister-in-law borrowed it.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 30 March 2009 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

Thanks Rozanne….I don’t have that one so I will check it out at the library. smile

Posted: 31 March 2009 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-20

Rose uses a cookie press, but I think you can make it in a mold as long as the mold is well greased or it will crumble.  I’ve made Rose’s shortbread for the last 2 years.  People really like them.

Posted: 31 March 2009 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  595
Joined  2007-11-18

NERVOUSCHEF:
  Good morning. Sunday morning I could not sleep, sooo, I got up (4:50 AM) & decided to bake shortbread cookies. I had some European butter (1,pound) that soon would be approaching the shelf life date.  So I decided to bake & gift same to my friends. Which I did yesterday.
  I use a mould & I have never greased mine. They come out very very easy…no problem. I also for variety purposes I use a cookie press & place same on a baking sheet with parchment paper. (Not greased).  If your recipe has the proper butter amount, greasing would not be warranted. My recipe just like all authentic Scottish recipes the butter by weight exceeds the weight of the flour. I am not familiar with Miss Rose’s recipe, but I am certain it would have more than enough butter in it. Next time you bake your recipe just try 1 or 2 cookies in your mould ungreased. I am interested in learning of your experience.
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID.  cool hmm

Posted: 31 March 2009 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-20

Hi Freshkid,

I haven’t tried baking the shortbread in molds yet, I’ve always done them in balls without a press.  I don’t think I’ll ever be making them in molds (I only make the cookies at Christmas and with the large batch I make, molds would be too time consuming), but if I do, I’ll let you know how they turn out!  Thanks for the tip.

Posted: 31 March 2009 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

I have a traditional Scottish mould, bought in Scotland, which I have had for a very long time, and when I have used it I don’t butter it, I lightly flour it and then place the shortbread dough/mixture in it and then turn it out of the mould before baking it.  The mould is made of wood, has the traditional thistle motif in the centre and is about 7-8 inches in diameter.  I love it.

Posted: 31 March 2009 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Rozanne - 30 March 2009 04:12 PM

I have made Rose’s shortbread but never in a mold but I think Rose gives instructions if you want to bake it in one. Don’t have my book with me right now. My sister-in-law borrowed it.

You are generous and brave to lend your book out!!!
smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 31 March 2009 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Patrincia - 31 March 2009 10:28 PM
Rozanne - 30 March 2009 04:12 PM

You are generous and brave to lend your book out!!!
smile

Thank you. My sister-in-law is a really, really nice person.

Signature 

Posted: 02 April 2009 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-08-16

Which of Rose’s books are you talking about that has this particular recipe?  Thanks!

Posted: 02 April 2009 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Rose’s Christmas Cookies.

Signature 

Posted: 02 April 2009 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-08-16

Thanks Rozanne…. I have that book!  I too have been anxious to find a good shortbread recipe to use with a mold….  Pat

Posted: 17 April 2009 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-03

I haven’t made it yet but I thank you all for your replies and will let you know! smile

Posted: 23 May 2009 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

By the way, be sure and check the errata for this book. I seem to recall there was a correction to the shortbread cookies. 

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2007/07/corrections_roses_christmas_co.html

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 27 November 2012 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-03-07

I noted with great interest Rose’s cookie press she uses with Scottish Shortbread Cookies.  It is pictured in her Christmas Cookie book on the Scottish Shortbread page and can also be seen in her video too. 

Where can I get one with this same design? 

Thanks, - Steve from Kansas

Posted: 27 November 2012 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
StephenRay - 27 November 2012 06:32 PM

I noted with great interest Rose’s cookie press she uses with Scottish Shortbread Cookies.  It is pictured in her Christmas Cookie book on the Scottish Shortbread page and can also be seen in her video too. 

Where can I get one with this same design? 

Thanks, - Steve from Kansas

Hi Steve - I looked exhaustively online and found nothing even remotely similar to the cookie press shown.  So I ended up contacting Bonnie Stern in Toronto directly - they’re happy to ship to the US.  Here’s the email address:

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

1 of 2