2 of 3
More Fun Questions
Posted: 04 April 2009 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
skiweaver9 - 04 April 2009 06:05 PM

alright, what is this microplane you all are talking about?? I think I need to get one LOL

Ski, you have to get one. It’s a fantastic tool to have in your kitchen.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 April 2009 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

Vita-Mix… cheese
I don’t know which model you are contemplating. I have had a 3600 since the 70’s. It is certainly very well built but after the novelty wore off I have found fewer and fewer uses for it over the years. In fact I don’t think I have turned it on in several years. The problem as I see it is that the uses they tout are usually better done with another tool. Grain grinding never produces fine grain there are always little grits left behind and it tends to overheat the flour. The same is true of making nut butters. Soups? I can make great soups on the stove in 20 minutes do I really need to whip up mediocre soups in seconds. Juicing is kind of tedious and is better done with a dedicated juicer. It probably shows best as a drink blender. It can grind through ice and frozen fruit like nothing. Smoothies and milkshakes are about all I use it for these days but even there I find my immersion blender does a great job with more convenience.
Actually if this list were to go to four things my next would be my immersion blender. I use it nearly every day and it does what it does so conveniently!

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 05 April 2009 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4743
Joined  2008-04-16

Gene, thanks for your comments on the Vitamix, I had been wondering about it for a number of months.  Did you ever use it to make ice cream? 

And tell me, how did you make your pizza peel?

My top picks:
My Lieb Herr refrigerator. This is the one appliance that I would keep if totally re-doing my kitchen.
My scale, I love using it and being able to rule out error in measurement in my cooking.
My KA 6QT mixer- not perfect but I use it constantly. 
I would have to agree with everyone else about the microplane, I love citrus zest.
And Pyrex glass measuring cups, I use them constantly, and they never break, even when pouring in hot caramelized sugar.

Bottom of the barrel:
Silicone spatulas.  They retain grease no matter how many times you hand wash or put them through the dishwasher.  They also retain odors (there is no joy in licking the batter off a silicone spatula, they smell like dishwasher detergent). 
My GE Mongram oven.  Nothing like cake baking to point out the flaws in your oven.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 05 April 2009 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Gene,

I want a Vita-Mix because nothing makes green smoothies, fruit smoothies, shakes, and drinks better than a Vita-Mix. I hate juicers because they remove all the fiber, unnecessary to get a good and healthful juice drink.  I also prefer them for pureeing soups, as food processors just make a big mess, and other blenders I’ve had are super loud and take a long time to properly puree a soup. Stick blenders are not appropriate if you want a silky smooth soup or sauce, and I can’t even imagine trying to make a smoothie with a stick blender. The Vita-Mix also makes pretty nice and quick sorbets and ice creams. I wouldn’t use it to grind flour because I don’t grind flour anymore anyway. Did I mention that the Vita-Mix is a quiet blender compared to others on the market? It won’t blow your eardrums out while using it. That’s a big plus for me.

My mother has had a Vita-Mix for about 12 years now, and it’s used everyday in her kitchen, and I’m always using it when I’m home.

So while it wasn’t appropriate for your uses, many other people see it as an essential kitchen tool.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 05 April 2009 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

Ok i’ve seen the microplanes, i just never knew what they were called. I might have to buy one though now. I wonder if they sell them at michaels i have 50% off lol

Posted: 06 April 2009 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  630
Joined  2008-01-24

I don’t have any experience with modern models since mine is 30 years old so you should take that into consideration. My model is a screamer though, it is easily the loudest thing I have in my house. I wear ear protection when I turn it on especially when I use the reverse feature. It does make a very quick and serviceable ice cream with just ice and milk/cream though it does require hardening off in the freezer after blending. I don’t mean to dump on the machine. It does some great things that no other machine can. I just wouldn’t put it on my top ten favorites.
I use my stick blender to make smoothies all the time. It does a great job. No muss just a quick rinse at the sink and drink from the same container I blended in. It works best with frozen fruit like blueberries,raspberries,strawberries but I make blended drinks with ice cubes too. It actually does a better job than most blenders because when the mixture is thick it can’t get thrown away from the blender blades which is so annoying with blenders.
Unfortunately I used the full services of my machine shop to make my super peel. I heartily recommend the super peel guy on the internet.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 06 April 2009 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
skiweaver9 - 05 April 2009 07:15 PM

Ok i’ve seen the microplanes, i just never knew what they were called. I might have to buy one though now. I wonder if they sell them at michaels i have 50% off lol

Not sure about Michael’s… I’m thinking not.  But you can find them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond which regularly mails out 20% off coupons.  Any good kitchenware department or store should carry them.  I actually purchased mine before they were so readily available.  Had to mail order it from a culinary school and I think it cost me about twice what they sell for now, but I still have the very same one and I use it all the time - still razor sharp!  It’s great for grating parmesan, chocolate, garlic, ginger, nutmeg, zesting citrus… it’s well worth any price and you’ll used it over and over and over again.  I have a large Microplane ribbon cutter too… also very nice.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 April 2009 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Julie - 05 April 2009 11:46 AM

Bottom of the barrel:
Silicone spatulas.  They retain grease no matter how many times you hand wash or put them through the dishwasher.  They also retain odors (there is no joy in licking the batter off a silicone spatula, they smell like dishwasher detergent).  My GE Mongram oven.  Nothing like cake baking to point out the flaws in your oven.

Hi Julie - have you tried Pampered Chef’s silicone spatulas?  I love them… they always come out of the dishwasher in perfect condition and don’t retain any odors or colors.  I wrote a little blurb about them on my blog

http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2009/04/favorite-kitchen-things-pampered-chef.html

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 April 2009 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4743
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi Patrincia! I just saw this on your blog, I’ll have to give them a try because I always cringe when reaching for one of mine!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 08 August 2010 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-11-02

Hi,
I’d never heard of the microplane until I saw it on this site and have never seen one here in the UK. Are they that good? They look just like a grater? Ive found them advertised here for USD$40 which seems a lot for what they are.

Signature 

http://www.controlinduction.co.uk

Posted: 08 August 2010 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

HI, I am in the UK and I have had a Microplane for YEARS!!!  I have the fine one which I wouldn’t be without.  I use it for grating citrus fruits and parmesan, it does an excellent job and so easy to clean, just a quick bang on the counter top is all that’s needed in most cases.  You can buy them in most kitchen shops, I got mine from Lakeland.

Posted: 08 August 2010 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
hotboxbert - 08 August 2010 11:41 AM

Hi,
I’d never heard of the microplane until I saw it on this site and have never seen one here in the UK. Are they that good? They look just like a grater? Ive found them advertised here for USD$40 which seems a lot for what they are.

That is a lot. They run around $15 in the US

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14755543

Posted: 09 August 2010 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2008-11-02

Thanks for that info’. Lakeland do them for ?22 which is about 60% more than $21 but if they’re as good as you guys say they are, they’re still a bargain

Signature 

http://www.controlinduction.co.uk

Posted: 09 August 2010 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

To me, they are definitely a must-have

Posted: 28 August 2010 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

My three favorite things in the kitchen….

My 7 quart cuisinart stand mixer with an extra bowl and whip. ( I always made a double batch of mousseline buttercream when I make it - once I made a triple batch)

My KD - 8000 scale.  LOVE IT!!!  I use it to weight everything.

I bought a silicone spatula from wilton.  It is yellow and white, kind of curved in and is squarish. It is the perfect tool to scape down the sides of my cuisinart mixer bowl and I can scrape just about every speck of batter out of my bowl.

I could go on and on…..

2 of 3

‹‹ Wondra Flour      to tofusalem (Claudia) ››