Dry/Dense Chocolate Domingo Cake
Posted: 03 April 2009 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-03-17

I made TCP’s chocolate domingo cake as a practice, and I’m hoping to make a slightly more moist and ever so slightly less dense version for the wedding. 

I think it’s an execution issue, not the recipe choice - I indended for it to be rich and dense, just not this dense!!  One problem could be an oven issue - I recently moved and have not yet bought a thermometer to place in my oven and measure the real temp against the knob temp.  It took 40 minutes to cook a 6"x2” square pan, as opposed to the 25-35 min for a 9"x2” round that TCP instructs.  I didn’t notice a gradient of doneness from inside to outside though, so I don’t think it was an issue of the outside getting dry while middle is still cooking. 

Another possibility - could it be my eggs or other batter component not being fluffy enough?  The batter seemed fine, but this was my first attempt at this cake - no point of reference to tell me otherwise.

The cake 2.5 days old at the tasting, but covered in fondant to seal in moisture.  It definitely lost a little moisture over the days it sat, but I think the real problem was present right away (I tried some of the leveling top the same day I took it out). 

Can someone help me improve my moisture and density problems?  What are other people’s experiences with this recipe?

Image Attachments
DSC_3425_small.jpg

Posted: 04 April 2009 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

What altitude are you at? Even a minor elevation can effect the moisture of a cake. An elevation above 2000 feet can effect the texture of the cake as well the moistness. Another possible reason for the denseness could be that the batter was not mixed long enough to beat in enough air. Also, oven temperature and old leavening agents could also be culprits. Definitely get an oven thermometer before you bake again. Make sure you leavening is fresh, also. If you bake this cake again with the correct oven temp (after testing), and it’s still dry, consider adding an extra tablespoon or so of liquid. If you live in a dry climate, you will most likely need to add an extra small amount of liquid.

Hope this helps!

Roxanne

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 April 2009 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

Hi Roxanne,  I just dropped by your Blog.  Very nice and informative.  What a blessing for those living at higher altitudes too!

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 April 2009 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  601
Joined  2007-11-18

KACY:
  Good morning. You are allowed to reduce the granulated sugar amount by up to 1/3rd & replace it with honey. I would begin by reducing just 1.5 oz & mix in 1.5, oz of honey. If not weighing just add 2, Tbls.  Add it with the sour cream & eggs.
  Good luck & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID. wink

Posted: 04 April 2009 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

Thanks tbartley!

Unfortunately, I have not been updating it because 1) I don’t have a good camera for pictures; and 2) I’m still recovering from ankle surgery and have not been doing much baking. In fact, today was the first day that I could actually stand in the kitchen for a long period of time and bake anything! I baked Rose’s All-Occasion Downy Yellow Cake, with altitude adjustments. It turned marvelous, and I will be posting it on the blog today, sans pictures though :(. Paying for surgery trumps buying a new camera right now.

Roxanne

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 April 2009 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Kacy, I’m not sure what may have happened with your Domingo.  When I have made this cake it has been very moist, somewhat dense, and extremely tender.  The batter is very thick, my notes say to pipe it for cupcakes because it is so thick.  In a cake pan, it needs to be spread with a spatula.

Was the cake tender, and did it reach the same height specified in the recipe?  What brand of cocoa powder did you use? I was thinking maybe it was overbaked, but since it was in so long you were testing it, right?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour