Downy Yellow Butter Cake
Posted: 04 April 2009 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-04-04

Hi all, I came across this recipe from Rose on You-tube and thought it sounds good.

I’m planning to bake this tomorrow, please help me with below queries:

- I was told I can substitue 1 cup of cake flour with - 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour + 2 tbsp corn flour?

- the recipe calls for 3 cups (10.5 oz) sifted cake flour… and 1 1/2 cups (10.5 oz) sugar… how come they have the same amount in Oz.? Please let me know the weights in grams smile

- if am using salted butter (cos I have one in the fridge), how much salt should I add?

- I just bought a Silicone baking pan, but I read about its drawbacks…. should I exchange to a normal pan instead?

Thanks all for your valuable time & advice.

Best Regards,
sandy

Posted: 04 April 2009 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18

SANDY~CHONG:
  Good morning & welcome to our culinary forum. Sandy, when transferring “OZ” to grams just multiply the OZ by 28.35 & you will have the gram amount. Now, if if you wish to do the opposite just divide the grams by 28.35 & you then have “OZ”. To proof that formula just go to your pantry & find a can of something that amounts to 1, pound or 16, oz. It will also say 454, grams. so just multiply the OZ by 28.35 & it will read 454 grams.
  Sandy, as far as those silicone pans go…Miss Rose doesn’t approve of them for angel food cakes. I read that somewhere in the past. I do not approve of them either for any baking. I once bought one a bundt cake pan & after using once I simply threw it out $20. bucks worth.
  Sandy, you can subst. the flours as you describe as long as it amounts to the same weight.  However Sandy, the texture & taste may be somewhat different.
  Sandy, the salt ???you posed is not that important. I would just measure the recipe amount & then just remove a one pinch & half.
Sandy, the weight of the sugar & flour can be equal,however when the weight of the sugar exceeds the weight of the flour it becomes un~balanced & THEN IT WILL REQUIRE SPECIAL MIXING & OR HANDLING It is known as a “HI~RATIO CAKE” FORMULA.
    Good luck in your baking & enjoy the rest of the day young lady.

~FRESHKID. grin

Posted: 05 April 2009 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-04

Thanks alot Freshkid… this is definitely helpful.

I went to get the Silicon baking pan exchanged and bought the cake flour this morning.

I’m gonna start baking soon…. and my daughter wanted to help me too.

Have a nice day ahead.
Best Regards,
Sandy:)

Posted: 05 April 2009 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sandy, FreshKid’s advice is all excellent (as usual!).  Also, I would point out that your all-purpose flour must be the bleached varitety to work properly in a butter cake.  Cake flour is a little more finely ground and more acidic than bleached AP, and will yield the best texture/flavor, but the bleached AP/cornstarch substitution will work. 

If you care to work out the salt issue exactly, check the nutrition label for the salt content, and use that to calculate the quantity of salt to subtract from the recipe.  The problem with salted butter is that each brand decides how much to add, so there’s no general rule.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 05 April 2009 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-04

Thanks Julie..

I have successfully baked this delicious butter cake… I like the fine texture. I used a 8x2” pan for 2/3 of the recipe and it turned out well smile

I posted a photo to show you guys… am gonna share with my colleagues tomorrow ;p

Thanks for helping me.. Enjoy your day!

Best Regards,
sandy

Posted: 05 April 2009 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-04

Oops.. I don’t know how to shrink my photo smaller enough for the Avatar…  tongue wink

Wait till I figure out how tomorrow…

Am tired and gonna sleep now shut eye

Chat again,
Bye…

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Julie - 05 April 2009 10:53 AM

Also, I would point out that your all-purpose flour must be the bleached varitety to work properly in a butter cake.

Yes, yes, yes…. unbleached flour will result in a greasy cake.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

When flour is bleached the particles of flour have rough edges which helps to keep the butter in suspension. Unbleached flour particles are smooth and so the butter ends up at the bottom of the cake. It’s somewhere on the blog, posted by Rose.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 07 April 2009 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-04

Thanks all and well noted.

Btw.. I have some TOP’s organic unbleached baker’s flour, do you have any recipe that I can make use of it? Can I use it for muffin?or

Thanks for valuable advice.

Enjoy your day!

Posted: 07 April 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-18

SANDY:
  Good morning. Sandy you can use it for any baked product except butter cake type. Try a yeasted lean bread recipe maybe dinner rolls. Try cookies as well. I am certain you will succeed in whatever you decide.
  Good luck to you & enjoy the rest of the day.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Posted: 07 April 2009 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sandy, it will also work for oil-based cakes, like carrot cake.  Muffins will work as long as they use oil and not butter.  Cookies and pie crust will also work.  It’s a little hard to know exactly what the protein content is, but if you use it for cookies and/or pie crusts and they seem tough, then it’s probably a higher-protein flour and should be reserved for breads.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 10 April 2009 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Sandy, if you are not able to get bleached flour where you live, try searching on the forums and Rose’s blog for “Kate flour.”

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara