How do I augment a recipe with soda pop?
Posted: 04 April 2009 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-04

Hello all!

I’ve been searching high and low for a foundational cake recipe that includes soda pop as an ingredient for an experiment I want to try for this month’s Iron Cupcake challenge. I haven’t had any luck. Most of the recipes use box cake mixes *gasp*. Or they include ingredients like apple cider vinegar or sour cream, which I don’t think fit in the cake aesthetic I’m looking for. I know a lot of people like sour cream, but whenever I’ve made a cake with it, it tends to sit like a rock in my stomach after eating.

Anyone have any ideas on how I could add soda pop as an ingredient to let’s say, a basic white or yellow cake recipe? I don’t have Rose’s Cake Bible… yet. I’m going to try and get it this week. What I do have right now is Tish Boyle’s Cake Book. I’m a big fan of her white cake recipe, but I don’t know how that compares with Rose’s. I’m thinking maybe switch out some of the milk for soda? What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Aimee
Sugared Ellipses

Posted: 06 April 2009 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-03-13

Hi Aimee,

There is a famous Southern Cake recipe that uses Root Beer as a central ingredient and it is therefore called “Root Beer Cake”. I Googled it and got a long list of sites with the recipe. Many do include using a cake mix which I don’t favor in anything. The recipe from http://www.about.com is a scratch recipe that includes all of the ingredients. You should be able to use this as a base and substitute the Root Beer for whatever soda that you prefer. I have never tried this recipe or made a Root Beer cake so I can’t stand behind it but it is certainly worth looking at and possibly using for your purposes.

Good luck,
AndyNYCK

‹‹ Browned Butter      French Macarons ››