1 of 3
Cupcake Flop
Posted: 04 April 2009 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Thank goodness I was making these cupcakes for my family with leftover batter from another cake! This was my first attempt at the Golden Butter Cream Cake. I love the flavor, but I need to work on adapting the recipe. I doubled the recipe, put 2 1/2 cups of batter in each of 2 6” pans and made 7 cupcakes with the rest. I doubled everything and wonder if I should have tweaked the baking powder a bit. I’ve been reading back through archives and old threads and think I need to reduce the oven temp and adjust the BP. Anyway, thought it would be fun to share an ugly photo!!

March014

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 05 April 2009 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, thanks so much for the photo!  I have often wished that the forum had a section titled, “Learn from my Mistakes”! 

The golden butter cream cake is sort of the missing link between pound cake and layer cake, I wonder if it has enough structure for a peaked-top shape?  You’re not the first to make sub-standard cupcakes with it. 

Did the layers work out well? I always wonder what could cause a batter to fall in cupcake form but bake properly in a layer cake??

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 05 April 2009 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Anne, thank you for posting this. I just saw this posting by Gia on another thread (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/954/). I think you might find it interesting.

“and the centers sunk (a lot like what happens with Golden Butter Cream Cake when I tried to make cupcakes!)”

Maybe the Golden Butter Cream cake needs to be adjusted when making cupcakes.  question

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 April 2009 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

I love photo too! I am glad to see I am not the only one who has disasters, and it is funny in the end!!

Posted: 05 April 2009 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
skiweaver9 - 05 April 2009 07:13 PM

I am glad to see I am not the only one who has disasters, and it is funny in the end!!

I guess every baker can relate to this.  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Not to be bested by a cupcake, I tried again last night and doubled the amount of baking powder. It didn’t work…

P4050003

One lone cupcake had to go in the refrigerator while the rest of them baked. It didn’t collapse on me quite as badly or shrink away from the paper. I might try the recipe again with doubled BP, let the batter sit in the fridge, AND use a little less batter in the cup to see if they all come out like this one. What do you think? Or, maybe I should throw in the towel and use the All-American Downy Yellow Butter Cake recipe for cupcakes. I just LOVE the flavor of the Golden Butter Cream Cake!

P4050004

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Anne - try reducing your leavening instead of increasing it.  Check the blog for more advice. 

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

well i am glad you are attempting to take your favorite cake into cupcakes. I have been looking for a good yellow cupcake recipe, so when you get it all figured out let me know! LOL.

Posted: 06 April 2009 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to what Patrincia said!! Baking powder weakens structure, so you need to use less.  You could also try a hotter oven, some people bake muffins at 400F to get peaked tops.  Leaving the cupcakes out or in the fridge before baking mimics the effect of reducing baking powder.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Thanks for your help, ladies! I’m confused, but am willing to try yet again. I researched extensively on the blog yesterday and I thought what I’d read had said smaller cakes need more BP. Did I completely misread that? I feel like I read it several places and it also says the same on p. 164 of TCB. But, I suppose it’s worth a try. Raising the oven temp is an interesting idea, too. Shall I give it another go? How much would you reduce the BP? The recipe calls for 1 1/4 t.

Julie, to answer your question from above, the layers did not work great, but they were okay. I used the magi-cake strips, but the tops were a little sunken. Also, there was a little strip of cake that peeled away from the perimeter. The same thing happened when I made the Chocolate Butter Cake a couple of weeks ago. Has that happened for any of you who use the cake strips?

For that initial round of baking, I had not adjusted the BP. I think I read something on one post that you think the butter has something to do with the shrinkage - are you still thinking that’s part of it?

March016

I’m trying to get all of my kinks worked out because I think I’m going to sell these babies soon. I want to have some mastered recipes with which to work!!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 06 April 2009 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2007-11-18

ANNE,H:
  Good afternoon . I am sorry you are having a terrible time with this recipe Annie. red face  I looked at the recipe & it does appear in balance. I must be truthful…. I do not like the mixing method for this one particular recipe. I srongly believe you will succeed employing the “CREAMING METHOD”.  Odd ball mixing methods are ok for recipes that are un~balanced…but this one isn’t.
Anne, if you are going to try one more time & are not knowledgeable about this method ,post back & I will go thru it with you.
  Good luck Annie & enjoy the rest of the day young ladyt.

~FRESHKID. cool hmm

Posted: 06 April 2009 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Thanks, FreshKid! I’ll try the creaming method and see how it goes. In some old posts, Bill wrote that the texture of the cake wasn’t quite as delightful when creaming first. But, since the reverse creaming method doesn’t seem to be working for me, I’ll try the traditional way and let you know how it goes!! My darling, frugal husband is going to flip when he sees me making them again!! smile

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 06 April 2009 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, I can see how you might be confused.  If a recipe is working fine and you want to switch to a smaller pan and you want a flat top, THEN you increase baking powder.  Personally, I like a rounded top on cupcakes, not a flat one, so I never increase baking powder.

This recipe (Golden Butter Cream Cake) is sort of half way between a pound and a layer cake.  Pound cake can be somewhat lacking in structure, needing to be baked in a tube pan in order to work (and then it doesn’t matter if the top dips a little, because you will flip it to serve).  A layer cake will generally have more structure, allowing it to be baked in a pan without a tube in the middle.  I bet it would work well in one of those mini-bundt pans, you know, the ones that look like a cupcake-sized ring-shaped cake, with a hole in the middle.  Then you could put fruit in the middle, yum.

If any cake recipe is sagging in the middle, it either doesn’t have enough structure or is underbaked.  One way to boost structure is to decrease baking powder.  Another is to increase mixing times.  And raising your oven temp might help with these cupcakes because that can set the sides faster, while the center has time to rise.

So my suggestions would be:
1. keep the golden butter cake recipe as is and try the mini ring-shaped cake pan.
2. reduce the baking powder to 1tsp, increase mixing times to 2min/30sec/30sec/30sec, and if that doesn’t do the trick increase your oven temp to 375F, though this can give your cupcakes browner edges.
3. try the sour cream butter cake, the golden almond and downy yellow, all of which work well for cupcakes.  If you like rounded tops, leave the baking powder as is, or increase it for flatter tops.

Looking at your layer cake makes me ask two questions: which mixer are you using? (lesser powered mixers need longer beating times and/or faster speeds) and are you using Baker’s Joy on the pans? 

Also, you filled the layer pans 2/3 full, I couldn’t confirm it (Cake Bible didn’t specify how full pan is), but I suspect this cake may do a little better at half full.

Good Luck!

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2009 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, as I read through this recipe, TCB says that the cake shrinks a lot upon cooling.  That may indicate problems for a cupcake, because the sides will be stuck to the paper and will not be able to shrink with the rest of the cake, contributing to the appearance of a sunken center.  I would go for the mini ring pans or use a true layer cake recipe for your cupcakes.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2009 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

I tried this cake too - exactly like in TCB. The taste is awesome! I baked it in a 9” pan, then decided to make mini cakes, so cut the cake with 2” round cutters. I found that it was very crumbly and difficult to frost. Maybe I should have chilled the cake first?  My husband happily ate the scraps and pronounced it one of the best cakes he’s ever had.

Julie your idea of baking them in mini-bundt pans sounds excellent! Will give it a try since this cake seems to a favorite in my house.

Posted: 07 April 2009 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Julie,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I use a KA 4-qt. mixer and I use shortening and flour instead of Baker’s Joy. I gave up on trying to make the GBCC into cupcakes. I think it might be an exercise in futility after reading your posts above.  I made the All-American Downy Yellow Butter Cake recipe into cupcakes tonight. They worked a lot better - I still have some work to do even on those, but the first run went okay. I have never been much of a cupcake baker - don’t know why I’ve got a bee in my bonnet to try now! It’s a challenge and I don’t want to lose!! wink

Shimi,

Glad you tried the cake. It is yummy! I did chill my layers before frosting and it wasn’t too difficult - a bit crumbly, but I sealed all the crumbs in with a good crumb coating and then went back over it with another layer of frosting. I used the Light Whipped Ganache with it and it was great!

I made the Silk Meringue Buttercream frosting to go on the cupcakes tomorrow. Yum! I haven’t made this one before and I love it. I’m not sure I’ll make it often because of the multiple steps involved, but I’ll use it for special occasions!

Signature 

Anne

1 of 3