Cupcake Flop
Posted: 04 April 2009 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Thank goodness I was making these cupcakes for my family with leftover batter from another cake! This was my first attempt at the Golden Butter Cream Cake. I love the flavor, but I need to work on adapting the recipe. I doubled the recipe, put 2 1/2 cups of batter in each of 2 6” pans and made 7 cupcakes with the rest. I doubled everything and wonder if I should have tweaked the baking powder a bit. I’ve been reading back through archives and old threads and think I need to reduce the oven temp and adjust the BP. Anyway, thought it would be fun to share an ugly photo!!

March014

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Not to be bested by a cupcake, I tried again last night and doubled the amount of baking powder. It didn’t work…

P4050003

One lone cupcake had to go in the refrigerator while the rest of them baked. It didn’t collapse on me quite as badly or shrink away from the paper. I might try the recipe again with doubled BP, let the batter sit in the fridge, AND use a little less batter in the cup to see if they all come out like this one. What do you think? Or, maybe I should throw in the towel and use the All-American Downy Yellow Butter Cake recipe for cupcakes. I just LOVE the flavor of the Golden Butter Cream Cake!

P4050004

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 06 April 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Thanks for your help, ladies! I’m confused, but am willing to try yet again. I researched extensively on the blog yesterday and I thought what I’d read had said smaller cakes need more BP. Did I completely misread that? I feel like I read it several places and it also says the same on p. 164 of TCB. But, I suppose it’s worth a try. Raising the oven temp is an interesting idea, too. Shall I give it another go? How much would you reduce the BP? The recipe calls for 1 1/4 t.

Julie, to answer your question from above, the layers did not work great, but they were okay. I used the magi-cake strips, but the tops were a little sunken. Also, there was a little strip of cake that peeled away from the perimeter. The same thing happened when I made the Chocolate Butter Cake a couple of weeks ago. Has that happened for any of you who use the cake strips?

For that initial round of baking, I had not adjusted the BP. I think I read something on one post that you think the butter has something to do with the shrinkage - are you still thinking that’s part of it?

March016

I’m trying to get all of my kinks worked out because I think I’m going to sell these babies soon. I want to have some mastered recipes with which to work!!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 06 April 2009 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Thanks, FreshKid! I’ll try the creaming method and see how it goes. In some old posts, Bill wrote that the texture of the cake wasn’t quite as delightful when creaming first. But, since the reverse creaming method doesn’t seem to be working for me, I’ll try the traditional way and let you know how it goes!! My darling, frugal husband is going to flip when he sees me making them again!! smile

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 07 April 2009 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Julie,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I use a KA 4-qt. mixer and I use shortening and flour instead of Baker’s Joy. I gave up on trying to make the GBCC into cupcakes. I think it might be an exercise in futility after reading your posts above.  I made the All-American Downy Yellow Butter Cake recipe into cupcakes tonight. They worked a lot better - I still have some work to do even on those, but the first run went okay. I have never been much of a cupcake baker - don’t know why I’ve got a bee in my bonnet to try now! It’s a challenge and I don’t want to lose!! wink

Shimi,

Glad you tried the cake. It is yummy! I did chill my layers before frosting and it wasn’t too difficult - a bit crumbly, but I sealed all the crumbs in with a good crumb coating and then went back over it with another layer of frosting. I used the Light Whipped Ganache with it and it was great!

I made the Silk Meringue Buttercream frosting to go on the cupcakes tomorrow. Yum! I haven’t made this one before and I love it. I’m not sure I’ll make it often because of the multiple steps involved, but I’ll use it for special occasions!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 07 April 2009 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14
AnneH - 07 April 2009 03:00 AM

I made the Silk Meringue Buttercream frosting to go on the cupcakes tomorrow. Yum! I haven’t made this one before and I love it. I’m not sure I’ll make it often because of the multiple steps involved, but I’ll use it for special occasions!

I need to retract this statement. Last night, I frosted my latest batch of cupcakes with the SMBC and am in L-O-V-E!! Oh, my goodness, the stuff is good!!! I could eat a bowlful all by itself. One batch of it covered almost 50 cupcakes, so it goes a long way. I can see making the big batch sized for wedding cakes and using it little by little on smaller cakes. I wish I had an excuse to try the Caramel variation. I may have to make myself a Mother’s Day cake in a few weeks!

Here are some prettier cupcakes than the earlier ones. I want to try getting the peaked top next time so the frosting looks a little better, but they’re good enough for now!

P4070005

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 07 April 2009 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Yes - go try it now! Make the custard tonight and finish the recipe tomorrow!!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 08 April 2009 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Good morning, all! I took the cupcakes to an outdoor Easter egg hunt yesterday and, because of the cold, everyone stayed for only about 15 minutes - just long enough to gather a dozen eggs. It’s no fun to hunt for eggs when it’s 50 degrees outside!!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 08 April 2009 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Oh, yes! They tasted great - both the Golden Butter Cream Cake and the Yellow Downy Butter Cake flavors are delicious! I’ve got both varieties in the freezer and fridge to take to the beach with my in-laws this weekend. So, they’ll be enjoyed by those who won’t judge the appearance. wink

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 13 April 2009 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-20

I’ve tried to make the Golden Butter Cream Cake into cupcakes and it didn’t work out.  The tops weren’t peaked and kind of slanted and the paper would peel away.  I think because it’s a very buttery and heavy batter it doesn’t work that well.  It’s very tasty though!

Posted: 13 April 2009 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-20

Thank you for your tips, Freshkid.  Have you tried this technique with cupcakes for this recipe?  I would be more willing to try it again for cupcakes if this was a tried and true method.  I have made other butter cakes from The Cake Bible and all have turned out.

I’m baking this recipe again, this time in the suggested cake pan, so hopefully I won’t have the same issue as I did with the cupcakes.