2 of 3
Cupcake Flop
Posted: 07 April 2009 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Annne, your GBCC layer cake sounds wonderful!  I love that you paired it with a cream-based frosting (LWG is one of my all-time favorites!), should pick up on the cream in the batter.  As a matter of fact, I would like a piece now, please!  And Silk Meringue BC is my favorite BC, yum.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 07 April 2009 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Anne, I made the cake about 3 weeks ago and I really love the taste. I think I had too much crumbs because I cut the cake into mini cakes. Even with a crumb coat there were crumbs everywhere, and the small fiddly size didn’t help matters.

I just tried making the Silk Meringue buttercream a few days ago. All I can say is WOW!!! Why did I never make this before?? It took a tremendous amount of willpower to stop just eating it with a spoon, and I don’t ever do that with buttercreams! Ganache yes, but not buttercream.

Julie, now I understand why this is your favourite!

Posted: 07 April 2009 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14
AnneH - 07 April 2009 03:00 AM

I made the Silk Meringue Buttercream frosting to go on the cupcakes tomorrow. Yum! I haven’t made this one before and I love it. I’m not sure I’ll make it often because of the multiple steps involved, but I’ll use it for special occasions!

I need to retract this statement. Last night, I frosted my latest batch of cupcakes with the SMBC and am in L-O-V-E!! Oh, my goodness, the stuff is good!!! I could eat a bowlful all by itself. One batch of it covered almost 50 cupcakes, so it goes a long way. I can see making the big batch sized for wedding cakes and using it little by little on smaller cakes. I wish I had an excuse to try the Caramel variation. I may have to make myself a Mother’s Day cake in a few weeks!

Here are some prettier cupcakes than the earlier ones. I want to try getting the peaked top next time so the frosting looks a little better, but they’re good enough for now!

P4070005

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 07 April 2009 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Love the colours Anne. Very Spring like. I’m craving cupcakes now.  Ok so now I HAVE to try the Silk MBC.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 07 April 2009 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Yes - go try it now! Make the custard tonight and finish the recipe tomorrow!!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 07 April 2009 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Oh Rozanne, you HAVE to try it. I made the caramel version, then added hazelnut paste and it was DIVINE!!

There are more steps than mousseline or classic buttercreams, but as Anne pointed out, you can space them out over a few days. I think Rose said in TCB you can make the custard 5 days in advance. Even the meringue can be kept for 2 days in the fridge.

Anne, your cupcakes look so pretty, love the colours.

Posted: 07 April 2009 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2599
Joined  2007-11-15

The silk meringue is truly amazing.  I’ve purposefully stayed away from the Caramel version… I’m afraid I would need an intervention.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 07 April 2009 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, lovely cupcakes, were those the downy yellow?  Spring colors when everyone on the eastern seaboard has snow outside!

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2009 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

OK, I’ll try the Silk MBC soon. I was planning on doing it in June (for my b’day cake). But if I can’t stop eating it and have to work out longer because of all of you tempting me, you are going to join me in my workouts.

Signature 

Posted: 08 April 2009 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I could really use a workout partner, Rozanne, too bad you’re in Toronto!  A friend of mine asked me if I wanted to join her in training for and racing in a triathalon- I nearly choked from laughing so hard, but was flattered that she even thought I might be up for it!

Signature 

Posted: 08 April 2009 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I could use a workout partner too! I go to the gym 4 days a week and at first i had 4 friends who went with me and they ALL quit. So now I go alone and its soo hard to get motivated. Everyone who eats all my baked goods (like coworkers of my boyfriend since THEY are the guinea pigs) look at me and say “I can’t beleive you are not 500 lbs” becuase of all the baking i do.  I am ALWAYS asked “What do you do with all those cakes you bake?”

Posted: 08 April 2009 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Good morning, all! I took the cupcakes to an outdoor Easter egg hunt yesterday and, because of the cold, everyone stayed for only about 15 minutes - just long enough to gather a dozen eggs. It’s no fun to hunt for eggs when it’s 50 degrees outside!!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 08 April 2009 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

so did you guys eat the ‘disasterous’ cupcakes?? Did they still taste good?

Posted: 08 April 2009 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-14

Oh, yes! They tasted great - both the Golden Butter Cream Cake and the Yellow Downy Butter Cake flavors are delicious! I’ve got both varieties in the freezer and fridge to take to the beach with my in-laws this weekend. So, they’ll be enjoyed by those who won’t judge the appearance. wink

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 08 April 2009 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
AnneH - 08 April 2009 02:53 PM

Oh, yes! They tasted great - both the Golden Butter Cream Cake and the Yellow Downy Butter Cake flavors are delicious!

I guess that’s one of the many wonderful things about Rose’s recipes. Even the failed ones are yummy.  smile

Signature 

2 of 3