1 of 2
FREEZING Ganache
Posted: 05 April 2009 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

So I am going to make a batch of the light whipped ganache. I says its good frozen for 3 months.

For thawing, do you recommend I put it in the refrigerator overnight the night before I use it? Or do you recommend leaving it on the counter (like I did the mousseline). I am hesitant, because it says it is good for only 1 day room temp (Which will be the day of serving) so I am cautious that If I leave it out overnight (or all day while i am at work) then it won’ be good on serving day.

Basically, i am decorating the cupcakes tuesday night, putting them in the fridge and they will be picked up wed (kept in fridge), served on thursday.  Any tips??

Posted: 05 April 2009 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Ski, I have left it on the counter overnight to come to room temp. and then it has been out on the day it was served and it has been fine. Even though you leave it on the counter overnight or while you are at work it is not a full 24hrs. Maybe 8 or 9 hrs. You still have 15 to 16 hrs of room temp time left to allow it to sit out of the fridge on serving day. That’s how I look at it. It may sound crazy or illogical (my method for calculating room temp. time) but I have never had anything go bad or anyone get ill.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 April 2009 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

makes sense. ok!

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

The last time I froze light whipped ganache, it was already in the cake (Yule log).  I was a little worried about having it sit out for too long, since it is whipped cream-based, so I defrosted in the fridge and put it out at room temp just a couple of hours before serving.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

im going to take it out in the morning while i am at work (so 9-10 hours total) then i am going to frost the cupcakes and stick them back in the fridge. hope it works, i definately dont want anyone getting sick (that would be BAD)

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m thinking it would be more an issue of how long the cream will be stabilized by the chocolate.  Long before anything goes bad, the cream may start to water out after long periods at room temp.  But since you are doing cupcakes, there won’t be any frosting on the sides of the cake, so no puddles or anything (the cupcakes would absorb any small drops of water).  You brought the cream to a boil to make the ganache, so it should be OK bacteria-wise.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2009 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

yea and i should have taken a picture of that and posted another disaster thread since i saw the bubbles of the cream and went to take it off the heat and then bam! the whole thing like marshmallowed up and spilled over!! i made a mess to say the least.

I am more concerned too about using it after its been thawed, becuase it says in the booksomething about it not being too cold….but is it supposed to be room temp before i re whip it??

Posted: 06 April 2009 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, I’m not sure you need to re-whip the light whipped ganache!  You did whip it once before you froze it, right?  This is not like buttercream, if you beat it too much the butter will separate out of the cream and get grainy, then you’ll have to re-melt it and start over with chilling and whipping.  The rules are similar to making regular whipped cream- it should be cold when whipped and be careful not to overwhip.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2009 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

i whipped it until it had soft peaks (like the book said), then i put it in a bowl and froze it. GOod to know i dont have to whip it again then!! So do you think i should just defrost it in the refrigerator for like 2 days???  instead of putting it on the counter?

Posted: 06 April 2009 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Maybe someone else can chime in here, I have only frozen it once inside the completed cake.  I’m tempted to say that it doesn’t matter where you defrost, just keep in mind that this isn’t as bulletproof as mousseline and so you may not want to leave it out for hours and hours at room temp.  If I were doing it I would put it in the fridge overnight, then out on the counter several hours before you want to use it.  If you’re not sure how long to leave it out, check it one hour before you want to use it, and cut it up into pieces if it is still far away from room temp.

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2009 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Ski, I found this in my notes and thought I’d pass it along to you. It’s from the blog. By the way how did your ganache turn out?

I am having the same trouble with the ganache. What is the temp you heat the cream to? What is temp to whip at? You give bake times and temps, weights and measures for everything else, how about these temperatures, since they seem to be critical to success!

Reply to this     Posted by: another jennifer | January 18, 2007 9:08 PM #

actually i’m planning to give the temperatures in my new book so i’ll tell you now: for a light whipped ganache using 6 ounces of bitteresweet chocoolate and 1 1/2 cups/12 ounces of heavy cream (you heat the cream to the boiliing point, i.e. when small bubbles appear around the edges). it takes about 2 hours to cool to 65 to 68 ?F/20?C
only beat until soft flooppy peaks form when the beater is lifted. in fact when it starts thickening it’s safest to beat by hand. how’‘s that for specific?!

Reply to this     Posted by: Rose Levy Beranbaum | January 18, 2007 9:20 PM #

Thanks so much! I’ll copy it right into the book tonight!

Jennifer

Reply to this     Posted by: another jennifer | January 18, 2007 9:25 PM #

you’re welcome. to tell you the truth, i was afraid ppl would not want to take the temperature but now i’m more courageous and will tell all and then ppl can choose for themselves what they want to ignore. thanks for encouraging me in this good direction! in baking it’s all about temperature and often more about chilling than heating! when ppl design kithens i always advise them to put a refrigerator as near their work area as possible.

Reply to this     Posted by: Rose Levy Beranbaum | January 18, 2007 9:28 PM #

thanks for the temperatures! I was wondering about that as well. I had no problem making the regular ganache, but my light whipped ganache curdled. I tried remelting, cooling, and rebeating, but to no avail. i ended up throwing it away and making chocolate mousseline buttercream instead (which was a little too sweet for my taste buds…) If I want to use the light whipped gananche as a filling for a cake, does the cake have to stay in the fridge? thanks!

Reply to this     Posted by: Chrissy | January 19, 2007 9:15 AM #

it has to be refrigerated after 1 day.

Reply to this     Posted by: Rose Levy Beranbaum | January 19, 2007 9:38 AM #

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2009 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

THanks. THe light whipped ganache came out great, it was perfect consistency and ijust whipped it until it said to stop (like above). I took it out of the freezer this morning, and i am going to go home on lunch and put it on the counter. that way, it should be room temp when i get home (esp since it snowed last night and the heat is on full blast at home). i hope so at least

Posted: 07 April 2009 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

I’m glad it turned out well. It snowed here too (Toronto) yesterday and today. Sigh!!!

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2009 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

How is the weather in toronto? Ive been there a few times (only during the summer though). its a lot of fun!!

Posted: 07 April 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

BTW, i just checked my ganache (in the fridge)> its still frozen but not hard as rock so i decided to leave it in the fridge until I get home. That way it will give me about 1-2 hours to take it out and put it on the countertop before i need to use it. I hope it works!!

Posted: 07 April 2009 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Would you Canadians please take your snow back?  We’ve had flurries all day…. flowers blooming everywhere and snow flurries!  smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

1 of 2