Yellow Cake
Posted: 08 April 2009 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

So I had a chocolate topic, and now i am moving on to yellow.

In your opinions, which is the best yellow cake out of the book- most moist cake that goes well WITH frosting (opposted to being eaten plain)??
I haven’t really read much up on the yellow cakes in the book, so forgive me if they are well described, i just dont have my copy here with me and I’ve been baking nothing but chocolate and marble for the last 3 months!!

Posted: 08 April 2009 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

The Golden Genoise is wonderful.

Hector says the Golden Luxury Butter cake is almost as tender as the Golden Genoise.  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/905/

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 08 April 2009 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

They’re all pretty wonderful, the key is to make a good combination with the frosting, and to select a weight/density that you like.  Pound cake and genoise are both wonderful yellow cakes, but are as far apart in weight and texture as any two cakes can be. 

The golden Genoise is my favorite yellow cake in the entire book, but it does take some egg foam know-how.  It’s wonderful with Apricot silk meringue BC or apricot-vanilla mousseline (take a look at Rose’s golden cage!) or with lemon curd mousseline (pictured in the showcase section).  And the genoise classique is extremely light, tender and refreshing, which can be wonderful paired with fruit flavors for Spring.

For butter cakes (I only use these for cupcakes), I love the sour cream butter cake paired with fruit flavors, the golden almond paired with just about anything- fruit, nut or chocolate, and the downy yellow is a lovely yellow cake base without extra flavoring like sour cream or almond.  Check the sidebars for appropriate pairings, they are very helpful.  I have yet to try the Golden Lux cake, mostly because when I made the white version, white choc whisper cake, there was too much white chocolate flavor for me (cake was wonderfully light and fine grained, really beautiful, but I’m just not a white chocolate person).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 08 April 2009 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

what about a cake that goes well with vanilla or chooclate mousseline (or chooclate ganache?)

Posted: 08 April 2009 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Vanilla Mousseline - anything goes
Chocolate Mousseline or Ganache - anything but lemon (although some people actually don’t mind mixing the two flavors, but for me, no way)

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com