2 of 3
Trying Genoise…
Posted: 09 April 2009 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2599
Joined  2007-11-15
hectorwong - 09 April 2009 03:43 PM

Don’t stir, but often tilt your saucepan so you can see the browned solid bits stuck on the bottom of the pan, will look like a thin layer of light brown sugar well stuck on the bottom of the pan.  if these bits are black then it is overdone.  the bits can be lighter or as dark brown as you want but never black.

Hector, your brown sugar analogy is perfect.

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 09 April 2009 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Ski,

I used a children’s medicine syringe to sprinkle the genoise I made a few weeks ago. It worked well and you can make sure it’s all sprinkled evenly with the measurements right there. I wonder if a squirt bottle would work…

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 09 April 2009 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
AnneH - 09 April 2009 08:35 PM

I used a children’s medicine syringe to sprinkle the genoise

This is exactly what I use all the time too.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 April 2009 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

but how much do you put on it???
and you have to cut the top and bottom off the cake, correct?

Posted: 09 April 2009 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, do you mean how much liqueur to sprinkle?  On p.172-3 are the directions for the Golden Cage, which is the golden genoise with apricot BC.  There are directions there for quantity, 2T.  If you are going to syrup the cut/torted surface, similar to p.172, then you don’t have to trim the crust.  If you are leaving the layer intact, and so sprinkling the top/bottom, you might want to go ahead and lightly trim the crust to help the liqueur get absorbed and to prevent any pastiness. 

So, if you’re at the liqueur stage, does that mean you’ve completed the cake?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 09 April 2009 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

oh i havent even started the cake lol. I am just trying to get all my facts straight before I start it.  Saturday is the big day.

Im making the apricot puree from the bible, I assume when you are putting it into mousseline you want it UNSWEETENED, is that correct? (It mentions option of adding sugar).

Posted: 10 April 2009 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I put it in unsweetened, but if you add more than 2/3 - 3/4 cup, you will need to sweeten the additional puree as the buttercream will become too tart.  After the third day, the tartness will mellow, which is good or bad depending on your tastes.  Same thing happens with strawberry mousseline after the third day.

Signature 

Posted: 10 April 2009 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

alright i will try it unsweetend. I am only going to add 2/3 cup anyways.

I bet you guys never thought someone could ask so many questions about one cake!!

Posted: 10 April 2009 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

so if i have no apricot brandy or that au de something, should i not sprinkle the cake with anything???

Posted: 11 April 2009 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

It is fine not to sprinkle with anything, that is just to give a little flavor boost and elegance/complexity to the cake.  It is optional.  If no apricot brandy or eau de vie is available, cointreau would also be nice and is frequenntly available in those cute little bottles.  But omitting the liqueur is fine, the cake is lovely without it.

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2009 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

Ok cake is baked.

Here are some things i came across….
1) the butter….i watched it until specks were turning brown on the bottom. I thought it was going to be big chunks but they were actually like particles??? Is this right?? I took it off the heat because some of the specks were light brown, some dark brown and I know you said to avoid any black.  THe i poured it into a fine strainer and the rest of the butter went through, but it was kinda dark. Was it supposed to be???

2) The cake…everything went good up until i baked it. I think i overbaked it, i put it in for 30 and checked on it, it was golden brown but i didn’t think it was done for some reason so i left it another 5 minutes and then it was kinda dark brown. I unmolded it right away (per book)...this is the bottom of the cake. its kind of weird looking. is this how it is supposed to look?

Image Attachments
untitled-1.jpg

Posted: 11 April 2009 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Your butter sounds fine, yes there are particles (like dried milk) that settle to the bottom and brown.  How dark you let them go is personal preference, kind of like caramelized sugar, but it sounds like you did well.  I suppose the browned butter, after straining, looks a little darker than just melted butter, but I wouldn’t call it brown.

The cake looks OK, but it’s a little hard to tell from the photo.  A few questions:

How does the height compare to the sidebar in TCB (2”)? 

The corners appear cut off- did they not release when you unmolded the cake, or did they bake that way (i.e., air pockets in the pan)?

You can see from p12 in TCB that the crust can be somewhat brown, but color is not the most important factor when determining how done it is- it is done when the sides just begin to shrink from the pan.  If you have an oven window and watch it, it will continue to rise in the center up to a certain point, then it will stop rising and the whole cake will shrink just the tiniest bit, leaving a small gap between the cake and the sides of the pan.  That is the point at which to take it out.

Congrats on your first genoise!

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2009 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

the corners…..they baked that way! I was so confused because i was like where did those corner pieces go?? But they were nowhere to be found.  I tried not to overmix the batter, i just folded everything in with a slotted spoon like the book said. did i still overmix???

It didn’t seem to have the side shrink in at all, tahts why I wasn’t sure. I baked it in a sprinform pan. The height of the cake when i took it out was not 2inches high. It was thinner..not sure how much exactly, but I expected it to be thicker than it is. Then i cut the tops and bottom so i could sprinkle the apricot brandy but i BARELY cut anything off.
BTW, i noticed this cake is very EASY to cut. Is it just me???

I have no oven window either, so thats why i opened it at 30 minutes, and thought it wasn’t done…

Posted: 11 April 2009 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, the batter is very thick with all those yolks, there must have been some air pockets in the pan when you filled it, and the batter just set up that way, it didn’t “liquefy” and fill in the holes!  I don’t like the technique that some people use of dropping the filled pan on the counter, but I do like the centrifuge technique, where you spin the filled pan a little to help the cake bake up flat.  Perhaps that might help fill in the corners?

You did add the water, right?  And weigh the yolks (use about 14 large)? And did you re-invert to cool top side up?

Barring those three factors, the only other things to affect height are whipping technique and folding technique.  But don’t worry, many sponge cakes fall slightly short of their height and are still lovely to eat!

And it sounds like you got the Apricot brandy, reading this post is making me want to make golden genoise!

Looking forward to seeing the finished cake.

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2009 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I did add water, and I used 14 yolks (i weighed them).  I didn’t re invert though. I didn’t think that mattered…...

oh yeah and i completely screwed up the mousseline. I made it (mousseline fien) but the apricot puree…yeah wasn’t really pureed enough. After i pureed it (with my handheld) I TRIED to put it through my fine straner, but it just wouldn’t work. So now i have mousseline with big big apricot chunks all over it lol

2 of 3