3 of 3
Trying Genoise…
Posted: 11 April 2009 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
skiweaver9 - 11 April 2009 10:31 PM

I didn’t re invert though. I didn’t think that mattered…...

Ski, a genoise has to be re-inverted. It could be one of the reasons why the cake was not as high as it should have been. Rose explains why in TCB. I cannot remember the reason behind it. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 April 2009 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, you re-invert to cool, I think because the top crust is sturdier than the bottom and helps to “hold the cake up” while it cools.  Many egg-foam cakes get that treatment, except chiffon and angel food, which have to cool hanging upside down from the pan.  I’ll bet your cake is still tasty, though!

I make apricot puree in the blender.  I have to scrape sides and push down a lot, but it seems to do a great job.  I don’t strain it and there are never any lumps.  Yours should still be OK, it is just a different take on the BC.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 12 April 2009 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

Thats what i did i pureed it in my handheld and it did a great job,, but it stilll left chunks. Im sure it tastes ok, people will just get chunks of apricots in their mouths haha. good thing its only my mom who is eating it!!!  ill let you know how it tastes when i cut it

Posted: 18 April 2009 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2008-08-19

Hi Ski,

Was curious what you thought of the golden genoise?  I was thinking of making it but wanted to know what you thoughts were on the cake.

Posted: 18 April 2009 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I thought the cake tasted good.  It the texture was nice, the taste was good so all in all it was good. It definately was not my favorite, and thats probably because I like chocolate WAY better than I like anything else AND becuase i put too much apricot brandy on it (I followd the directions and put LESS but it still was too much).

. So for being a chocolate lover, this non chocolate cake was good.

3 of 3