1 of 3
World Peace Cookies - Dorie Greenspan
Posted: 09 April 2009 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Here are my results from a little informal bake-off a few of us decided to do yesterday featuring Dorie Greenspan’s World Peace Cookies from her book From My Home to Yours (aka Korova cookies from her book Paris Sweets) - the recipe can also be found on the web.  What makes these cookies so interesting is their sandy texture and salty/sweet flavor (thanks to the inclusion of the French Sea Salt Fleur de sel). 

I think they turned out very well.  My family was happy to eat them, but they prefer their cookies to be more on the sweet only side.  I’d say these are best served to adults who appreciate the soft, delicate, almost buttery flavor of Fleur de sel. 

The timing of this bake-off couldn’t have been better… shortly after the cookies were baked a couple of the kids announced that I needed to send some baked goods to school today for teacher appreciation day, so I was able to package some up before they all disappeared.

I’ll be posting lots of photos, details, etc on my blog a little later today.

Image Attachments
P1010952 (Medium).jpgP1010960 (Medium).jpgP1010959 (Medium).jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 April 2009 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

yum they look delicious!!

Posted: 09 April 2009 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Patrincia, I have made these on a number of times and we love them, I passed the recipe on to my daughter and they love them too!  I think they are my favourite cookie that I make, I like the slight salty taste, morish I think!

Posted: 09 April 2009 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I loved joining in this baking project, and I haven’t made cookies in so long that I decided to go for it and make a bunch. I made the chocolate sables (originally credited to Pierre Herme and published by Dorie, as noted by Patincia), and also made Rose’s Sable Sandwiches from her cookie book as well as a few variations.

The plain round sables are Rose’s wonderful recipe, in which I subbed hazelnuts for the walnuts, just personal preference. I must say that these, all by themselves, were just perfect- I will definitely be making them again.

The sable sandwiches are filled with mousseline buttercream flavored with an equivalent weight of hazelnut paste instead of walnuts and vanilla instead of maple extract. They are incredible, the key to these is to keep the filling very thin so that the flavor of the cookies is still discernible.

The swirled cookies are Rose’s beautiful dough, spread with chopped Green & Black’s espresso chocolate and rolled into a log. These were nice, but I like the thin rolled cookies better. Next time I will try a milder chocolate (maybe milk with chopped hazelnuts) and a much thinner slice off the log.

The dark cookies are, of course, the World Peace/chocolate sables. This is the second time I’ve made these and I was quite happy with how they turned out. For me, the key components were to use the Fleur de sel and to use 56% dark chocolate. On my first try I used a 72% chocolate which was too bitter and sea salt, which wasn’t round and lingering the way the fleur de sel was.

I also used some of the chopped G&B Espresso chocolate in these, which was nice but I like the regular best. I think the main issue with the espresso chocolate was it was a little bitter and strong for these sable doughs.

And now my Dad is going to arrive in a few hours, I’m so pleased to be able to offer him a plate of cookies!

Image Attachments
Sables.jpgSable Sandwich2.jpg
 Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 09 April 2009 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

This is my version. I used Ghirardelli semi sweet choc chips. I will use the mini chips next time as I found it a bit hard to slice through the big chips once the dough was chilled. Used fleur de sel. My husband and kids loved them too. I really liked the texture.

Image Attachments
World_Peace_Cookies..jpg
 Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 April 2009 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18

Patricia and Julie, your cookies look great!  smile

Signature 

Posted: 09 April 2009 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, Rozanne, yours, too!  And I’m so glad to know the Ghiradelli chips work, I think they’re a great bang for the buck and love to use them.  Patrincia, I love how you packaged yours for teacher appreciation day, I’ll have to keep that in mind for ours, which should be coming up in a month or so.  And great photos, the texture of the cookie is really well detailed!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 09 April 2009 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 09 April 2009 03:58 PM

Patrincia, I love how you packaged yours for teacher appreciation day, I’ll have to keep that in mind for ours, which should be coming up in a month or so.  And great photos, the texture of the cookie is really well detailed!

Ditto. You take good pictures.

Signature 

Posted: 09 April 2009 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Great job Rozanne and Julie… hopefully Anne will chime in here soon.  I love looking at everyone’s photos.  Shall we do this again some time?  How about a recipe from Rose’s Christmas Cookies book?  Anyone can join in.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 09 April 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Rozanne - 09 April 2009 04:22 PM
Julie - 09 April 2009 03:58 PM

Patrincia, I love how you packaged yours for teacher appreciation day, I’ll have to keep that in mind for ours, which should be coming up in a month or so.  And great photos, the texture of the cookie is really well detailed!

Ditto. You take good pictures.

I take no credit for the photos… I have the camera set to auto and I rely heavily on a tripod, otherwise my photos are so blurry. 

I was glad I had those birthday treat bags on hand, and I just happened to find the brown/pink ribbon recently and purchased it because it was so cute and inexpensive.  Didn’t know what I was going to use it for (Michael’s $1).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 09 April 2009 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Patrincia - 09 April 2009 05:26 PM

Shall we do this again some time?  How about a recipe from Rose’s Christmas Cookies book?  Anyone can join in.

Great idea! Let’s do it for Mother’s Day.

Signature 

Posted: 09 April 2009 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

oh dear, patrincia, your cookies and your PHOTOS look fantastic.  your blog too.

i haven’t spent much time making cookies, shall i get started?

good job everyone and stayed tuned to YOUTUBE, i’ve just got a box full of more tapes from Rose!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 09 April 2009 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
hectorwong - 09 April 2009 06:40 PM

stayed tuned to YOUTUBE, i’ve just got a box full of more tapes from Rose!

Hector - you are wonderful to post these videos… keep them coming!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 09 April 2009 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
Rozanne - 09 April 2009 06:35 PM
Patrincia - 09 April 2009 05:26 PM

Shall we do this again some time?  How about a recipe from Rose’s Christmas Cookies book?  Anyone can join in.

Great idea! Let’s do it for Mother’s Day.

Mother’s Day is May 10th… which cookies should we make?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 09 April 2009 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Trivia Ahead
10 extra brownie points for anyone who can tell us why I would say these cookies look…
Moopish! LOL

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 09 April 2009 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Here I am!!! Sorry for being so late!! wink Crazy day…

Cookies are really my specialty - I’m learning on the cake thing. I’ve made lots of different cookie recipes in order to find “The Very Best One.” The World Peace cookies are scrumdiddlyumptious, as we say in my house! I used Nestle chocolate chips, regular-sized, and as Rozanne wrote, they were a bit hard to cut. These are definitely worth making again! I, too, will post to my blog, hopefully later today. Since I love chocolate and nuts, these don’t quite make the cut for the Very Best Cookie Award, but they’ll be great for my friends with nut allergies. I was able to box up two packages for friends in Raleigh - that saves me some calories!

I enjoyed the bake-off and would love to take part in another one for Mother’s Day. I bought a box of 50 plastic Wilton cookie cutters at Michael’s yesterday that are begging to be used, if anyone wants to make cut-out cookies. I’m up for anything, though.

I’d love for someone to join me in making a charlotte sometime soon, too!

P4080004

Signature 

Anne

1 of 3