What does one do when life hands you a 25% discount on Valrhona Cocoa powder?
Posted: 10 April 2009 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

One of our local speciality markets here in Denver, Urban Pantry, is closing its doors, and everything is on sale. Right now, the discount is only 25%, but I rushed over there anyway, in the hopes of scoring some Valrhona Cocoa powder. I snagged the very last box.

At first, I was sorely tempted to stash it away for future baking. I have been guilty of hording away my favorite baking items and never using them (shameful, I know).

However, I am determined to use this cocoa powder in the best ways possible: hot cocoa, brownies, and chocolate cake. Granted it’s only 8.8 oz of cocoa powder, but such rich cocoa powder goes a long way. I figure I can get 1 chocolate cake, 2 batches of brownies, and hopefully 2 cups of hot cocoa out of it.

Today I made a batch of my favorite brownies. I decided on brownies first because I also have a 2.2 lb. block of Caro 68% bittersweet chocolate. This chocolate is from Aragon, Spain, and is insanely good. It is rich and well rounded in flavor. There are no overly robust or nuanced flavors in this chocolate, unlike Green & Black’s 70% chocolate, which, in my opinion, makes it perfect for baking (Green & Black’s is a VERY good eating chocolate, but its robust and nuanced flavors get lost in baking). Honestly, it’s very difficult to keep myself from sampling too much of this chocolate when I’m chopping it.  smile

These brownies are rich and intense in chocolate. They are also nicely fudgey and chewy without being too dense, which keeps them from being overwhelming. These are perfect served with espresso or a nice cup of Cafe Crema.

I don’t know if there is a brownie recipe like this out there somewhere, but I adapted this recipe from one off the back of a Domino’s Sugar Box some years ago (the original Domino’s recipe can be found on Michael Chu’s site, Cooking for Engineers)...

6 oz bittersweet chocolate
6 oz unsalted butter
1 tsp. espresso powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup dutched cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Optional: 1/2 tsp of ground chipotle powder (the little spicy kick is amazing with chocolate)

3 lg. whole eggs
1.25 cup sugar
.5 cup of all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Prepare an 8x8 or 9x9 pan to your preference ( I use two pieces of parchment paper to create a sling to lift the cooled brownies out of the pan)

In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter together until smooth. Whisk in the espresso powder, salt, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and chile powder if using. Set aside to cool slightly (should still be fluid and about body temperature). Put the eggs and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer and set over hot water bath. Whisk eggs and sugar together until eggs are warmed and sugar is dissolved.

Whip the eggs/sugar for about 6 minutes on high speed until thick and pale yellow. With the mixer on medium-low speed slowly add in the chocolate/butter mixture. Once all the chocolate is added, scrape down the sides of the bowl and whip on high speed for about 1-2 minutes until the mixture is fully blended. Take the bowl off the mixer and sift in the flour over the chocolate mixture. Fold in by hand with a rubber spatula until the batter is well mixed and no streaks of flour remain.

Pour into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs attached—about 22-28 minutes. Cool COMPLETELY before removing from the pan and cutting into squares.

Next up is Rose’s Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake. Yum-yum!

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 11 April 2009 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

I’m so jealous!  None of the stores in Memphis carry Valhrona Cocoa Powder.  (I wanted it for a red velvet cake) 

Thanks for sharing your recipe with us and the information on Caro’s 68% chocolate.  I’ve never heard of it.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 April 2009 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

I can’t seem to buy the cocoa powder here, either, and I have to drive an hour to get Green & Black’s cocoa powder- sigh.  I have taken to buying things at Lepicerie.com every now and then, they have great nut pastes and chocolates, agar, etc.

I’m just about to make the bittersweet cocoa-almond genoise, wish I had some of your cocoa!!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 11 April 2009 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Julie - 11 April 2009 10:52 AM

I have to drive an hour to get Green & Black’s cocoa powder- sigh.

Julie, have you tried your local health food store? Because it’s organic, lots of the health food stores here in Toronto carry it.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 11 April 2009 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, sadly they carry the hot chocolate and bars from G&B, but not the unsweetened cocoa powder.  I should ask them to special order it!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 21 April 2009 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

Hi fellow Valrhona lovers,

VALRHONA CHOCOLATE READILY AVAILABLE!

I haven’t posted in a long time, but knew I must post on this thread. I recently made Rose’s all american chocolate cake with Valrhona cocoa powder and it was amazing. The taste difference between this cocoa and others is noticed immediately. It’s flavor is truly lovely and lingers in the mouth. I now want to only use Valrhona when baking chocolate cakes. I found it at Whole Foods Market in their specialty section. Apparently most, if not all, Whole Foods now carry Valrhona. I know Whole Foods can be found all over the country, so try calling your local one and ask the specialty department if they have Valrhona cocoa. I hope this helps you find it more easily. Also, New York Cake and Baking Supplies carries it and they ship all over the US. I think their website is nycake.com

Roxanne, The spanish chocolate sounds wonderful and I am also tempted to seek some out and make the brownies using your recipe. Thanks.

Posted: 12 June 2009 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-10-19

https://www.chocolatesource.com offers valrhona cocoa powder (natural & dutch processed) and other very good brands at a great price with the occassional 10% discount.  check it out.

Posted: 05 July 2009 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

Does Valrhona make a dutch -process cocoa, and a regular un-processes cocoa ? The only one I’ve found around here says 100% cocoa…doesn’t say it is Dutch process.

Posted: 05 July 2009 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Check the ingredient list. If it contains only cocoa powder it is not Dutch processed. Dutch-processed cocoa has been treated with an alkalizing agent to neutralize its acidity and it will be listed in the ingredient list. Hope that helps.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 July 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

If it contains only cocoa powder it is not Dutch processed. Dutch-processed cocoa has been treated with an alkalizing agent to neutralize its acidity and it will be listed in the ingredient list.

Rozanne, I believe this is true in N. America but not so in Europe.  I don’t have any Valrhona left so can’t check it but Green & Blacks in the UK does not say that it is alkanized.  However, I have two Cacao Barry packets - the older one just lists the ingredients as “Cocoa Powder” but the new one says “Cocoa Powder Alkanized.  Ingredients: Cocoa Powder”.  They are the exact same product but the packaging and labelling have changed.  So, if the Valrhona was actually produced in France, it may not indicate whether or not it is alkanized.  In my limited experience cocoa powder produced in Europe is alakanized.

Annie

Posted: 29 July 2009 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-10-19

valrhona do carry dutch processed cocoa powder.  check this link to http://www.chocolatesource.com

http://www.chocolatesource.com/products/detail.asp?selection=200&section=10

Valrhona Cocoa Powder - 6.6 lbs [item V-159] 

enlarge photo This 22/24% cocoa butter dutched (alkalized) cocoa powder is considered by many chefs as the best in the world. 

Pieces: 1 Size: 106 Oz. 

Package: Tin Origin: France

Ingredients: 
22/24% cocoa butter dutched (alkalized) cocoa powder

Sale Price $58.00

hope this helps you.