ideas for appetizers
Posted: 12 April 2009 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

So i was invited to a party and when asked what I should bring- expecting them to say “dessert”, they actually said “Appetizer” (GASP!!)
I racking my brain wondering why, but i will have to accept.

Does anyone know of any good recipes to bring somewhere for an appetizer? I tend to do things overboard- meaning, I don’t like to bring chips and dip etc, i like to bring things that are going to ‘wow’ people (call it my OCD).  I was going to bring stuffed mushrooms, but they tell me now they dont like mushrooms (GASP again). so apparently, they are picky.

Any ideas?

Posted: 12 April 2009 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

How about a warm artichoke/cheese dip with baguette slices?  Or pate choux puffs with a savory filling (crab mousse or cheese)?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 12 April 2009 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Here are a few things I’ve made… Bacon wrapped shrimp or scallops, crab stuffed mushrooms, Crostini topped with garlicy spinach spread, thinly sliced smoked salmon with dill sauce on bagel chips, cherry tomatoes stuffed with yummy salmon or tuna salad, Caprese salad served on whatever….

Oh my, time for dinner.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 12 April 2009 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

oh yeah i forgot to mention no dips. haha….

hmm those are some ideas Patrincia, but i dont think any seafood would work as they are picky. I know they like bacon and i saw a recipe for bacon wrapped dates stuffed with bleu cheese, but i think that might be too risky. Then I was thinking something wtih Ham and Cheese but I dont know what (other than bite sized sandwiches)...BORING.

Posted: 12 April 2009 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04
Julie - 12 April 2009 09:08 PM

How about a warm artichoke/cheese dip with baguette slices?  Or pate choux puffs with a savory filling (crab mousse or cheese)?

what is a pate choix puff?????? That sounds good lol (the cheese filling, not the crab, again, they are picky)

Posted: 12 April 2009 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
skiweaver9 - 12 April 2009 09:35 PM
Julie - 12 April 2009 09:08 PM

what is a pate choix puff?????? That sounds good lol (the cheese filling, not the crab, again, they are picky)

Little cream puffs… they can be filled with savory or sweet fillings.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 12 April 2009 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
skiweaver9 - 12 April 2009 09:34 PM

oh yeah i forgot to mention no dips. haha….

hmm those are some ideas Patrincia, but i dont think any seafood would work as they are picky. I know they like bacon and i saw a recipe for bacon wrapped dates stuffed with bleu cheese, but i think that might be too risky. Then I was thinking something wtih Ham and Cheese but I dont know what (other than bite sized sandwiches)...BORING.

Hmmm, bite sized hot ham and cheese with a butter/mustard/onion sauce - to die for!  Also, bacon wrapped oven-roasted asparagus spears - I’m in heaven.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 12 April 2009 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

How about phyllo-based appetizers? You can do spinach-and-feta (or spinach and goat cheese) triangles. They can be assembled, frozen for months, and baked at the last minute.

I’ve also done “cheese straws” made of puff pastry. There is a recipe in Pie & Pastry Bible.

Posted: 12 April 2009 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

ok all of that sounds good. where can i find recipes?? I never worked with phyllo dough, i hear it is a pain though. is that true?? 
patrincia do you have a recipe for the hot ham and cheese stuff??

Posted: 12 April 2009 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I have an excellent recipe for the hot ham and cheese “stuff” smile.  When do you need it? 

I’ve worked with phyllo on a couple of occasions, but it’s definitely my least favorite pastry (to eat and work with), so I’ll defer that question to others.  Cheese straws are a good suggestion - the southern-style cheddar or Parmesan versions are a good reason to break out the cookie press if you have one.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 12 April 2009 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I own a Martha Stewart book that is entirely appetizers, has lots of great ideas—might be another resource for you to check. It is called Martha Stewart’s Hors d’Oeuvres Handbook.

Posted: 13 April 2009 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Cheese straws are on p.463 of the Pie and Pastry Bible, and savory Pate a Choux (cream puffs) begin on p.543.  There are several savory variations to choose from, including ham and cheese gougeres.  If you learn cream pufff pastry then later you’ll be able to make profiteroles, eclairs, or cream puffs, yum.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 13 April 2009 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

I dont have either of those books, (and don’t have time to order them either) i would consider going to the library but I just don’t have time this week. I am making these for this saturday.

I don’t feel like working with phyllo dough, its too thin for me (and i am rough haha), so i’d rather stick with something easier. Ive never used puff pastry before.

THe ham and cheese gougeres (whatever that means) sound good, as well as Patrincia’s hot ham and cheese ‘stuff’.  I like to make things that people have tried, that way i KNOW they are good (opposed to just searching up a recipe and making it), which is why i love allrecipes.com

Posted: 13 April 2009 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-05

Pesto crostini.  The recipe I have is for spinach and walnut pesto, but any pesto recipe would work well (as long as it’s really garlicky….yum!)  You can make it a couple days ahead of time, chop up some tomatoes ahead of time, slice up a baguette ahead of time.  All you have to do is put the slices of baguette on a baking sheet, pop in a 350ish oven for 10 minutes (keep an eye on it because you don’t want them too crunchy or brown) - 5 minutes each side.  Then I spread the pesto on nice and thick, sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top, pop them back in the oven to warm the spread and top with the chopped tomatoes right before serving.  Gorgeous and tasty.

Posted: 14 April 2009 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-03-13

Thought that I would throw an idea in here- how about a wheel of baked brie? We do this often and people die for it. It is a wheel of brie sliced in half horizontally with a layer of fig jam then a layer of prichutto de parma, the prochutto can also be wrapped around the brie. The top of the brie is the added and the whole thing is wrapped in puff pastry or filo dough and baked. You cut it in wedges and it oozes but it i ssoooooo deliciuos. Definately not for the faint of heart.

Posted: 14 April 2009 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

mm sounds so good, but i am trying to avoid dips/spreads…..

the ONLY reason i am saying no to some of these ideas is because of the people i am making them for!! Frankly, they probably would be better off with little pb and j’s. grrr