1 of 3
Trial with Mousseline
Posted: 13 April 2009 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

So I made mousseline again on saturday (when i added the chunks of apricots haha), and I did a little test this time.
Normally, after i add the butter, it starts looking curdled and wet. It kind of lumps together in one big lump and then slides around the bowl (this is the best i could describe it). AT this point, i normally turn off the mixed and take my spatula and put it through the mousseline and THATS when it turns normal, into a mayonaise consistency.

This time, however, I decided to keep beating the mousseline to see if it automatically turned into a smooth cream WITHOUT my spatula. So i kept it running, and it did turn smooth again. THe thing i noticed though, is that it was much stiffer than it normally is. Is this because I overbeat it?? It tasted the same, but was much firmer than it NORMALLY is (for me).

I was just curious about if i am doing it right the first time, or the second!

Posted: 13 April 2009 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

the second!  the mousseline will almost always look curdled when the butter is added, and then comes together again near or after all the butter has been added.

I have never seen that you can damage the consistency if overwhipping after all the butter has been added.  In fact, I crank up my mixer to top speed after all the butter has been added.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 13 April 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

and how long do you let it go when you crank up the mixer after the butter???

FUnny, all the cakes ive done with the mousseline was with the first part. I thought that when i was done, it got thicker and it WAS NOT mayonaise consistency. I guess its not supposed to be ?

Posted: 13 April 2009 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

The second time. Like Hector, I put the mixer up to high speed after I’ve added all the butter. I usually mix it at this speed for about a minute.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 13 April 2009 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

yes, a minute.  and after that I retrn to speed 1 to add the liquor tableapoon at a time and then back to top speed about 1 minute more.  I don’t think more beating will damage or deflate the mousseline.  I have repeatedly rebeated countless times, specially when working with colors, several different flavors, freezing, and for large projects as the 12 tier Hawaii Way or the 500 roses World Rose, both all mousseline.

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2009 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

oh, which btw was all done only with my 6qt pro 600.  the butter was softenned with the flat beater on my 5qt artisan.  I scaled the recipe to 15.3 cups as it is the ultimate maximum capacity for the pro 600.

I can tell you now that the mousseline is worth mastering thru practice!

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

I’m glad you asked the question Skiweaver9.  I never knew if I was doing it right either.

Thanks Hector and Rozanne.  You have share very helpful information.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 13 April 2009 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

so is that why i noticed that when the last time i froze chocoalte mousseline, and when i took it out and rebeat it (after room temp), it looked great tasted great but when comparing it to the freshly made vanilla mousseline was much thinner. It still piped fine, and all, but i distinctly remembered that it came out of piping bag with more ease. is that because when i originally made it, i didnt whip it enough??

Posted: 14 April 2009 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Ski, I’m so pleased you posted this question as I had the same thing happen to me last night.  I have made many batches of mousseline and they have all been pretty soft.  However, when the sugar was on the heat the doorbell rang and when I got back to the stove I popped the thermometer in to the syrup and pulled it off when I saw it hit 248.  It MAY have been a bit higher than this but I didn’t hang about to see!  I then whipped the meringue longer than I normally do before starting to add the butter - it seemed stiffer.  Adding the butter was pretty normal except that the ‘curdling’ took a while to disappear.  From then on I noticed the mousseline was stiffer than normal.  BTW I just ignore the curdling phase and battle on regardless - it always comes together in the end.

I found the mousseline easier to work with and pipe and would actually quite like to reproduce the stiffness each time I make it.  Does anyone have a tried and tested method of controlling the stiffness of mousseline?

Another question I have is: what is the ideal temperature of melted chocolate for chocolate mousseline?  I melt chocolate and let it cool - but not to setting point - while beating in the butter.  The last time I made it the chocolate hardened as it was being poured in to the bowl and I got lots of small chocolate lumps in the buttercream.  Should chocolate be re-tempered and is there an ideal temperature so that it blends rather than sets?

One more thing I discovered for passion fruit mousseline - one of my favourites.  I didn’t have time to make PF curd so just reduced the juice to 50% (by weight) and used it instead.  Wow! An intense PF experience - I think I’ll skip the curd from now on unless I need it for something else.

I was going to start an new thread for all this but see Ski already started with the same question.

Annie

Posted: 15 April 2009 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Regarding the stiffness of mousseline, yes, you have to beat it until it emulsifies into a perfectly smooth BC.  Cooler or warmer butter will affect the consistency (I mean temp when you add it), and small changes in sugar syrup temp (247-8 vs. 250-1) can have a noticeable effect.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 15 April 2009 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

So, Julie, going to 250 will make it stiffer - correct?

Annie

Posted: 15 April 2009 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

It seems that way to me- everytime I pull it earlier it’s a little softer, and everytime I let it go all the way, it’s a little stiffer.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 15 April 2009 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

Thanks Julie - that’s great information.

Annie

Posted: 15 April 2009 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

yess! i cant wait to try it again!

Posted: 15 April 2009 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Annie, thanks for the info about the passionfruit juice. It’s one of my favorite mousseline flavors, but the bother of making PF curd means I don’t make it as often as I would like. Now I can just reduce the juice!

Posted: 15 April 2009 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-03

And, Shimi, if it’s any help to you I wrote down the weights.  I started off with 245g passion fruit juice and ended up with 120g reduced puree.  It seems perfect for one quantity of mousseline.

Annie

1 of 3