2 of 2
When can I dig into a cheesecake?
Posted: 18 April 2009 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

WFT, I’m so sorry that you went through all that and then it didn’t work out, we’ve all been there (come to think of it, I was there yesterday…). 

If the flavor was “putrid”, did you use national brands of cream cheese and sour cream?  Once or twice, when buying a small, local brand of cultured cheese products, I have had very sour versions of these.  You did check the dates on ingredients, and store the cake in the fridge, right?

Also, flavors mellow after a day or two, maybe it will taste less sharp after a day or two in the fridge?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 18 April 2009 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

I’m sorry to hear your cheesecake didn’t turn out well. I hope you have better luck next time. Keep trying.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 April 2009 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Hector, love your new avatar.  cool smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 April 2009 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  598
Joined  2007-11-27
WafflesForTwo - 18 April 2009 03:12 AM

The taste was almost putrid, as if I had used sour cream or cream cheese that had gone bad, although my ingredients were fresh! The cake was done, fully formed, and it had reached the requisite 40 degree mark….sigh- I guess the cheesecake gods weren’t gonna let me win this time.

Do you have any of the cream cheese or sour cream left from when you made this or did you use it all up?  If you have some left, taste it and see if that’s the cause of the problem.  It’s very possible that even with fresh product, the sour cream or cream cheese could be off.  I once opened a fresh block of cream cheese to find mold, and last winter I got a case (6 5# buckets!) of Daisy sour cream and a few of the buckets were badly separated and curdled looking (they went back). 

The only other ingredient I can think of as being “off” is eggs.  I’ve never had a bad egg from a grocery store, but in the 30 dz cases I get at work, there’s usually one or two in a case that are cloudy or with “meat spots” that get tossed.

Try it again, this cheesecake (I like it topped with passion curd) is worth the effort.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 19 April 2009 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Maybe you just don’t like cheesecake?

Have you ever had one that you DID like? If so, can you find out more about the recipe? Or, can you tell us more about the way that one was different from Rose’s? Maybe we can help.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 23 April 2009 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-05

Oh no!  I can’t believe it didn’t turn out. 

This recipe has always been pretty flexible for me.  I make it with a graham crackers base (even though she says in the book not to), I’ve made it in 8, 9 AND 10 inch pans with no problems, I’ve even failed to mix it thoroughly before and ended up with unintentional swirls, but it ALWAYS tasted good.

That leads me to believe that one of your ingredients was off.  Did you accidentally buy a no-fat sour cream or something?

Posted: 25 April 2009 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-04-01

Thanks for the support everyone (the husband half here).  We suspect that after a bit of sleuthing, not only was sour cream possibly bad, but of local variety and just not what we were looking for.  The whole thing came off very sour creamy and mushy, not at all like cheesecake.  Oh well, back to the drawing board on this one.

However not to be undone by a single cake the wife was back in front of “The Cake Bible” that night, and in the kitchen the next day making the Domingo Chocolate Cake, which we gleefully dug into after only let cool 10 minutes.  It was a GREAT treat and a real winner.  Exactly the boost needed after the “Cheesecake Incident #326”

Posted: 26 April 2009 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

don’t give up!
i created my own cheesecake recipe and it took me a full year of failed attempts to get the cake i wanted—including one cake that burned! after all that work i have a cake which chefs and cheesecake fans tell me is the best they’ve ever had.

but i had to stick with it. btw—i can’t bake a consistently good scratch cake to save my life. all my butter cakes are made from mixes! so keep trying. you will find techniques that work for you.

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

2 of 2