1 of 2
Cake Tasting
Posted: 15 April 2009 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Everyone.  I thought I’d post a few photos from a cake tasting I did last night for a friend of a friend’s daughter who will be getting married in July.  I served naked cake samples with various dollops of buttercream so the bride-to-be and her mother could mix and match until they found the combination they liked the best.  The cakes samples were Yellow, Chocolate, and Lemon.  The buttercreams were (clockwise from the top), Kahlua (coffee), Disaronno (almond), Chocolate, Dark Ganache, Vanilla Bean, and Raspberry in the center. 

They had fun sampling all the flavors - check out the after photo… not much left to talk about smile.  They took the leftovers home to share with family members.

Image Attachments
P1020171 (Medium).jpgP1020171a (Medium).jpgP1020182 (Medium).jpgP1020184 (Medium).jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 April 2009 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Looks delicious, but you didn’t say what they decided on!

Posted: 15 April 2009 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Oops.  The bride liked the lemon cake with raspberry buttercream, but her mother steered her away from that because she thought the yellow butter cake would appeal to more guests, however, in the end the bride chose the chocolate cake because it’s what her groom had his heart set on.  They want the cake to be covered in ganache, and will probably decide on alternating the filling in the tiers between more ganache and raspberry buttercream.  They assured me the cake will stay in an air conditioned room until the cake cutting ceremony (outside under a tent).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 15 April 2009 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

that chocolate looks soo good. i wish i was the bride and i could come over and do a cake tasting lol

Posted: 15 April 2009 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Very impressive Patricia!

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 15 April 2009 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

Patricia, They all look beautiful and Yummy. Wish I were at your stage of the game. I made two test cakes today. One Rose’s recipe, another from Dede Wilson. Rose’s White butter cake seemed very tasty, but dry. I didn’t over bake, and everything was at room temperature. The Dede Wilson Yellow butter Cake has a different style of mixing, but uses whole eggs, not just the yolks so I was curious. It was very good tasting and light and moist, however it didn’t rise like Rose’s. So, the question from you is this, with your wonderful experience, have you ever made Rose’s Yellow butter cake with whole eggs? Also, how tall is a layer after the baking from a two inch pan. This yellow cake was only an 1 and 1/4 inches ...probably because of the method of mixing, Rose’s was over 1 and 1/2 inches!. Obviously I needthese layers high for the wedding cake tiers. Thanks for any help…I know I’ve been a pest. Claudia

Posted: 15 April 2009 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Claudia - two of the cakes I made were Rose’s Golden Yellow Butter and Chocolate Fudge. 
They were both baked in 9” magic line pans, and they ended up being between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2” tall.

The Lemon cake was actually one of Dede Wilson’s recipes (Lemon buttermilk). 
It was a “firmer” cake than Rose’s recipes.  I really liked the texture.  I prefer the flavors of Rose’s vanilla and chocolate recipes to the lemon, but I didn’t taste Dede’s vanilla or chocolate cakes, so I can’t compare them).
These cakes baked very tall; out of the pan.  They ended up being between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4” tall after they cooled, but the tops were burned so I cut them down to be approximately the same height as Rose’s cakes.  I checked to see if the recipe had specified 6x3 pans instead of 6x2s; it didn’t, however my 6” pans are Wilton brand, which seem to run a tad smaller than the Magic Line that Dede recommends, so that might account for why the batter rose up out of the pans.  Thankfully, the batter did not spill over and make a mess of my oven.

I have not made Rose’s Yellow butter cake with whole eggs.  It’s important to remember that the cakes will settle after they cool completely, so a 1 1/2” tall cake can very well end up being 1 1/4” tall without trimming it.  Once you add a cake board, fillings, frosting, and piping, your tier will be much taller than you expected it to be.  So don’t worry about 1/4”... it will be fine.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 15 April 2009 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Patricia,

Very pretty presentation for your tasting. Is that one of Rose’s frosting recipes or another?

Looks like fun!

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 15 April 2009 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
AnneH - 16 April 2009 12:22 AM

Patricia,

Very pretty presentation for your tasting. Is that one of Rose’s frosting recipes or another?

Looks like fun!

Thanks Anne.  It was fun and stressful all at the same time.  I did all the baking in the hours leading up to the tasting (so everything would be as fresh as possible).  I thought I had Rose’s raspberry puree in the freezer, but I had strawberry instead - oops, so I had to whip that up at the last minute (won’t make that mistake again).  I ended up filling, emptying, and running the dishwasher at least 4 times throughout the day.  Throw in a quick meal for the family, and don’t forget about all the extra housework since the kids had been home from school for between 4-6 days for the holiday.   

The buttercream was Rose’s Mousseline (this will be a summer wedding).  I made one batch, split it up into mini-batches, and flavored each accordingly.  The Ganache was equal parts chocolate and heavy cream that was allowed to cool to room temp and firm up a bit.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 15 April 2009 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

good job patrincia, that is a lot of work. 

at my weekend bakery job, we do tastings with actual sliced cake, not just cake and frosting separate.  We make sheets of cakes with frosting, slice into 2x1 inch (small serving), and thaw as needed.

i yet have to do a cake tasting on my own, although i think my desire is freedom!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 15 April 2009 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15
hectorwong - 16 April 2009 01:20 AM

good job patrincia, that is a lot of work. 

at my weekend bakery job, we do tastings with actual sliced cake, not just cake and frosting separate.  We make sheets of cakes with frosting, slice into 2x1 inch (small serving), and thaw as needed.

i yet have to do a cake tasting on my own, although i think my desire is freedom!

Yes, I imagine it’s pretty easy for a bakery to have pre-made, pre-assembled cake combinations waiting in the freezer, but this bride-to-be wasn’t sure what flavor combinations she wanted to try, so this presentation offered her the most flexibility.  I actually copied this exact idea by watching Sylvia Weinstock do a tasting with one of her clients on TV (only Sylvia used paper plates and plastic forks).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 15 April 2009 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Patrincia, that’s one lucky bride! I love your cake selections, and your china as well.  My mother used a similar pattern of blue on white when I was growing up. Thanks for sharing.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 16 April 2009 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  2007-12-17

What a great idea to present the cake and frosting that way.  I bet they had a great time trying all the different combinations.  How fun! 
The presentation was very classy.

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://reviewofrecipes.blogspot.com/

Posted: 16 April 2009 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

well done patrincia, everything looked like an actual dessert bar.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 16 April 2009 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2009-03-14

Oh, goodness, Patrincia, I can imagine the stress when pulling out the strawberry puree!! Aaahh! wink I’m glad you had time to make the raspberry puree.

Hector, I like your idea of having the frosted cake pieces ready in the freezer. I have always wondered if bakeries did that. What do you do in a situation like this when people want to taste different combinations? Do you just make test cakes to order or do you have lots of varieties in your freezer?

Signature 

Anne

Posted: 16 April 2009 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2009-03-13

MMMMMMMM it all looks so good! Bravo Patricia! I actually think I am going to steal that idea and do it for a dessert - kind of like a make your own dessert course.  I like the mix and match personalization of it and think that it has great applications.

1 of 2