1 of 2
White Velvet butter Cake - serving size
Posted: 15 April 2009 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-20

Hi,

I’m making a cake for a baby shower on Saturday.  Originally I was going to go with the Golden Butter Cream Cake and a silk-meringue filling and mousseline frosting, but now I’ve changed it to make the filling and frosting all mousseline to make life a bit easier.  I’m thinking the Golden Butter Cream Cake might be too heavy (I did a test run and found it a bit heavy/dense like a pound cake) and I’m thinking of switching to the White Velvet Butter Cake instead.  The cake needs to serve 15 people.  The White Velvet Butter Cake says it serves 12, but sometimes I find the serving size a bit off in the book (for example the Chocolate Spike cake made to serve 12 could feed 20 with the amount of cake I had leftover).  Would it be okay to use the White Velvet Butter Cake or should I stick to my original plan and bake 2 recipes of the Golden Butter Cream Cake.

Any advice would be appreciated.  BTW, I haven’t made the White Velvet Butter Cake before!

Thanks!

Posted: 15 April 2009 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

What flavor mousseline are you using?  The white velvet cake has a milder flavor than yellow cake, so it pairs best with milder frostings.  You could try the downy yellow cake, too, unless you need the white cake either for color or mild flavor.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 15 April 2009 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

I’m using a strawberry mousseline.  I was going to make the Rose Trellis cake (and instead of fondant and royal icing cage cover it with a different frosting).

Would the serving size be enough for 15 people?

Posted: 16 April 2009 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Regarding serving size, the Cake Bible, p. 207 says that the Rose Trellis serves 16 to 20.  I haven’t made this cake, but I did just make the orange chocolate crown, and TCB lists servings for that as 8-10.  I would say my cake easily served 10, maybe more. 

Hmmm, strawberry mousseline.  You could pair it with the white cake or the downy yellow, no problem.  One note I have on strawberry mousseline is that after 2-3 days in the fridge, the flavor fades considerably.  So if you are making it ahead, freeze it. 

Good Luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 16 April 2009 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the info!  If I make the mousseline today, it should still be okay for this Saturday?  I don’t want to refrigerate it as I don’t want to accidentally break it.

Posted: 16 April 2009 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

You should be just fine.  Keep it covered so no air-born particles land in it.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 April 2009 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

Thanks!  I’ll try the mousseline today then.

Posted: 16 April 2009 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

Ok, was adding the last bit of the egg mixture to the White Velvet Butter cake and noticed curdling!  Thankfully, doing a little Google-fu, this seems normal.  Posting the link here for future searches.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/11/cake_questions.html#comment-56709

Posted: 16 April 2009 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

I feel like I’m conversing with myself now, lol.  The cake just came out.  The top looks kind of crispy, so I may trim the top.  Letting it cool before I eat it.  I also noticed some larger holes at the bottom when inverting.  Looking through the book, probably because I used cold eggs.  Oops.

Posted: 16 April 2009 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I like listening in on this conversation smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 16 April 2009 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

Haha, if someone is listening it makes me feel less crazy!

Tried the cake and this is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  It’s light, melts in your mouth and just sooo good.  I’m glad I did a test run because I think I’ll have to make some cupcakes alongside when this cake runs out!

Posted: 16 April 2009 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

You are never alone on this forum. There’s always someone listening! How’s that for making you feel better?????
I’m glad you tried the white velvet butter cake and like it. It’s one of my favourites from TCB. It pairs well with almost any buttercream except chocolate (as Rose suggests) but I guess a little bit of chocolate wouldn’t hurt.  wink

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 16 April 2009 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04

I love the white velvet butter cake.  So does my oldest son.  Since we discovered it, every birthday cakeo of his is WVBC with peanutbutter or dulce de leche filling and white chocolate mousseline.

Posted: 17 April 2009 01:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

I think the White Velvet Butter Cake with white chocolate would be fabulous!

I made the strawberry mousseline and freaked out when it started to curdle so I whipped the heck out of it. By the time I searched “curdled mousseline” and found out that many of you experienced it and went back to my mixer, it came together beautifully!  I wouldn’t call this a “thrilling” buttercream, more like “terrifying” when I saw it curdle. raspberry I’m so happy it worked, I was afraid it’d turn into a grainy puddle!

I think I’m going to kick the cake up a notch and put a thin layer of the leftover conserve.  It was a happy accident when I took some leftover jam on a spoon, put it on the cake and put the mousseline on.  The cake is perfectly pink, I like the colour much better than when I did the silk-meringue.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Posted: 17 April 2009 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I adore the strawberry and raspberry versions of mousseline…  here’s a tiny slice lemon cake topped with raspberry mousseline sitting in a puddle of raspberry puree.  An after the wedding cake tasting treat!

Image Attachments
P1020219a (Medium).jpg
 Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 17 April 2009 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

Wow, I love the pinkness of the mousseline!

BTW, what is the proper filling to outer cake frosting ratio?  Do I just divide the buttercream in half?  I’m afraid I’ll run out of buttercream even though I always have leftover frosting.  I live up to my “nervous chef” name too much!

1 of 2