2 of 2
White Velvet butter Cake - serving size
Posted: 17 April 2009 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I like about 1/4-inch between the layers, on top, and around the outside.  I ALWAYS make extra buttercream because I like to pipe with large tips, which use a lot more buttercream than the smaller tips Rose typically uses.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 April 2009 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-20

Patrincia, do you do extra piping on top of the frosting which is why you make extra buttercream or is this just filling and frosting without the extra piping?  I’ve never frosted using a tip, I kind of just slather it on…should I be using tips?

Posted: 17 April 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Yes, I need extra buttercream when I’m piping a design on top and around the base, after the cake has been filled and covered with buttercream.  I don’t usually use a piping bag to apply my buttercream, just to add piped borders.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 17 April 2009 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Patrincia - 17 April 2009 02:46 PM

I adore the strawberry and raspberry versions of mousseline…  here’s a tiny slice lemon cake topped with raspberry mousseline sitting in a puddle of raspberry puree.  An after the wedding cake tasting treat!

Great picture. You can really see the texture of the cake.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 April 2009 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, to what Rozanne said, lovely picture Patrincia!  I’d like a slice too, please.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 17 April 2009 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks guys… Foodgawker didn’t like the photo.  Their reason - food/photo composition ... so frustrating!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 18 April 2009 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

Adding to this thread again…what a night!  I made the full batch (1.33 to be exact as I had 9x2” pans) and my 6 quart Kitchenaid was struggling when mixing the butter mixture…I couldn’t understand what was going on and I was so frustrated.  I was about to throw out the mixture when I decided that I shouldn’t be so hasty so I started a new batch, this time only doing 2/3 of the recipe like I originally did.  Then I noticed my mixer doing the same thing.  It turns out I had forgotten to add the extra milk!  I quickly rescued my other batter, added milk (which at this point I can’t remember if I omitted it completely or only added a little bit of milk) and it worked like a dream!  This cake turned out different than my test cake.  The shower is later today (it’s in the wee hours of the morning) so I hope everything still tastes okay and the cake isn’t completely wrecked from me mixing it too much.

Posted: 18 April 2009 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
Patrincia - 18 April 2009 02:25 AM

Thanks guys… Foodgawker didn’t like the photo.  Their reason - food/photo composition ... so frustrating!

What is wrong with them?????????????

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2009 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-18
nervouschef - 18 April 2009 04:50 AM

Adding to this thread again…what a night!  I made the full batch (1.33 to be exact as I had 9x2” pans) and my 6 quart Kitchenaid was struggling when mixing the butter mixture…I couldn’t understand what was going on and I was so frustrated.  I was about to throw out the mixture when I decided that I shouldn’t be so hasty so I started a new batch, this time only doing 2/3 of the recipe like I originally did.  Then I noticed my mixer doing the same thing.  It turns out I had forgotten to add the extra milk!  I quickly rescued my other batter, added milk (which at this point I can’t remember if I omitted it completely or only added a little bit of milk) and it worked like a dream!  This cake turned out different than my test cake.  The shower is later today (it’s in the wee hours of the morning) so I hope everything still tastes okay and the cake isn’t completely wrecked from me mixing it too much.

I’m sure it will turn out to be ok. I don’t think your cake will be ruined from over mixing if you used Rose’s method. Somewhere in TCB or on the blog she mentions that it takes a lot to over-mix a cake batter when using the two stage method. Good luck and don’t forget to post pictures.

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2009 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I look forward to hearing more, too!

By the way, what exactly are those little cakes/cookies in your avatar picture? They are darling!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 20 April 2009 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-03-20

Bungalow Barbara, my avatar picture are the Scottish shortbread cookies from Rose’s Christmas Cookies book.  Thank you!

Well…I think I have memorized how to make this cake considering the number of times I’ve made it.  Apparently you CAN overmix using Rose’s method.  It was all that extra mixing I did when I couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t mixing properly.  When I woke up in the morning (the day of the shower) I went to trim the cake and it was dense and doughy.  Even my fiance knew that I had to re-make it again.  So I did.  And it turned out properly.  The mousseline is a very stiff buttercream, I guess that’s why it holds up so well in the heat!  There were some leftovers of cake, but I don’t know how long it lasted because the next day everything was gone!

I got my fiance to frost and decorate the cake…poor guy, he didn’t even get to try a slice.  Everyone loved the cake, it was a huge hit!  But I think I might take a tiny break from cake baking…I made that cake 4 times in 3 days!

Image Attachments
3459408213_a47d514827_m.jpg

2 of 2