resizing chocolate fudge cake
Posted: 16 April 2009 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-04-16

I’m trying to figure out a recipe for the TCB chocolate fudge cake for 9*13*2 rectangle pans. Any suggestions? Also, I plan on using arrowhead mills pastry flour for the cake. Is this good, bad or indifferent in regards to the final product? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 16 April 2009 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04

Hi.  I’ve baked it in 9x13x2 using 1 1/2 times the orignal recipe, with no modifications in baking powder.  Cake came out level and super moist.  I refrigerated it until it was firm enough to work with. 

Sorry, can’t help on on the pastry flour question.

Posted: 16 April 2009 10:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

I suggest that you use the kind of flour called for in the recipe. Substituting in another kind of flour (unless you REALLY know what you’re doing) is an invitation for cake disaster!

Posted: 17 April 2009 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-16

thanks for the response. do you refrigerate it after cooling or right away and does that mean that it is so moist that it is difficult to handle?

Posted: 17 April 2009 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-16
Christine S. - 17 April 2009 01:36 AM

I suggest that you use the kind of flour called for in the recipe. Substituting in another kind of flour (unless you REALLY know what you’re doing) is an invitation for cake disaster!

Thanks, after doing some research, it seems that pastry flour has slightly more protein and is unbleached. Apparently the bleaching process allows the flour to absorb more liquid thus making a more stable cake. thanks for the warning.

Posted: 17 April 2009 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-04-16
momof4boys - 17 April 2009 12:41 AM

Hi.  I’ve baked it in 9x13x2 using 1 1/2 times the orignal recipe, with no modifications in baking powder.  Cake came out level and super moist.  I refrigerated it until it was firm enough to work with. 

Sorry, can’t help on on the pastry flour question.

Thanks for the response, why do you refrigerate it?  Is it too delicate to handle unless it’s cold & do you put it in right away, or after it’s cooled for a bit?

Posted: 17 April 2009 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04

You’re welcome.  Yes, its too delicate to handle when it’s freshly baked and at room temp.  It’s prone to splitting in the middle.  After baking I let it cool on the rack for about 5 mintues.  Flip out onto a wire rack. Peel off parchment but keep it on.  Cover with another wire rack. Flip right side up. Cool completely——confession:  sometimes I cool my cakes in the freezer until they’re firm enough to handle! Wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate till firm.

Refrigerating cakes also makes them easier to frost.

Posted: 17 April 2009 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
momof4boys - 17 April 2009 04:49 AM

You’re welcome.  Yes, its too delicate to handle when it’s freshly baked and at room temp.  It’s prone to splitting in the middle.  After baking I let it cool on the rack for about 5 mintues.  Flip out onto a wire rack. Peel off parchment but keep it on.  Cover with another wire rack. Flip right side up. Cool completely——confession:  sometimes I cool my cakes in the freezer until they’re firm enough to handle! Wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate till firm.

Tee-hee… haven’t we all done this at one time or another?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 April 2009 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Patrincia - 17 April 2009 03:14 PM
momof4boys - 17 April 2009 04:49 AM

Tee-hee… haven’t we all done this at one time or another?

So true Patricia. My mum used to place the hot cake in front of a fan sometimes. Mostly because the three of us (my two brothers and I) were so impatient.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 April 2009 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Yep, I’ve done that too smile.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com