Jen’s Puff Pastry
Posted: 18 April 2009 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

So i was a litle confused by these - i have never worked with Puff Pastry until now (frankly, never even heard of it!)
so when her directions said add 1 oz of chocolate to a 2inch square I kinda didn’t listen as I thought 1 oz was too much!  So i put 1 piece on each piece of pastry, and eh….turned out weird. I baked them according to package, and when i took them out, they looked bad, so then i covered the chocolate with sour cream ganache lol.

Here they are….but here’s my question. Are they supposed to get hard after they are cool?? Becuase they are…

Image Attachments
phppWasvxPM.jpgphpv4I8UNPM.jpg

Posted: 18 April 2009 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, these don’t look very puffed, for puff pastry.  Did you cut them with a very sharp knife and be careful not to press the edges together?  Is the puff pastry an all-butter version?  I think the idea is to have the pastry weighed down by the chocolate in the middle, but puffed up around it on the sides.  Jen did mention topping in the manner you did.  In any event, they still look pretty nice, how did they taste?

Puff pastry is supposed to be very flaky, and it’s true that it’s not the most tender of all the pastries, but it shouldn’t be totally hard, I would describe it as crisp and flaky.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 April 2009 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

actually i tasted them last night they were great!! they werent hard at all, they were soft!!  They dont look puffed up from those pictures but they are, you can see 3 lines on the side (like 3 layers). The thing I notced is they didn’t puff up AROUND the chocolate, they puffed up underneath the chocolated. SO basically, they were like a pillow with a chocolate on it lol.

Posted: 19 April 2009 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Ski, you said you reduced the amount of chocolate and didn’t use the 1oz Jen recommended. Maybe if you used the 1oz it may have puffed around the chocolate b/c the choc. would have weighed more. Just a thought…..I’ve never made these. They look good though.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 April 2009 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

yeah i was thinking that but i am not sure.
I ran out of chocolate, so some of them I used peanut butter cups and then I used peppermint pattys too. The peppermint pattys were the favorite!