White Buttercream
Posted: 19 April 2009 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-19

I am having troubles achieving a “white” buttercream, the colour on my practice cake looks like I spread butter all over it. I used a SMBC. Any ideas on how to get a white cake that does not have a fondant cover?

Thanks

Posted: 19 April 2009 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

mousseline??? mine is pretty white….

Posted: 19 April 2009 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

As Ski mentioned the mousseline in TCB is the whitest of Rose’s buttercreams. It is not pure white however because it contains butter. If you want a pure white buttercream you’ll have to use one of those recipes with shortening in it BUT it will not taste good.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 April 2009 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Wilton makes a white food colouring. I have never used it so I cannot say if it works or not but maybe you might want to try it.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 April 2009 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2577
Joined  2007-11-15

My avatar photo is covered in Mousseline (IMBC).

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 19 April 2009 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Mousseline is the whitest BC that doesn’t use shortening.  Whipping a lot of air into the butter before making the mousseline makes the finished buttercream whiter (though not as white as a shortening-based BC).  Silk Meringue BC is more yellow because of the yolks.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 19 April 2009 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  600
Joined  2007-11-27

If by SMBC you mean the silk meringue buttercream then it’s the pastry cream that makes it so yellow (all those yolks); if you mean Swiss Meringue Buttercream (which does not appear in TCB), it might be a little bit whiter but not really.

If you are looking for something whiter, try the House Buttercream from the Whimsical Bakehouse book.  It has butter, shortening and confectioners sugar and I find it to be very very sweet; but it’s white.  It isn’t something I use a lot, but when someone wants the old fashioned style of frosting, or they want the Publix frosting, I get a good response to it.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 19 April 2009 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Jeanne, what is Publix frosting? I’ve never heard of it.

Posted: 20 April 2009 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

Publix is a chain of grocery stores in the south; there are a lot of people up here who like their fluffy frosting and ask for it.  I’ve never tasted it, but this Whimsical recipe comes close as far as the people who have had it were concerned.  I am not a big fan of very sweet frosting so to me it is sweet but this does not seem as gritty as some confectioners sugar frostings I’ve had before.  Their technique melts the sugar with boiling water to dissolve first and I think that helps reduce the gritty mouth feel you can get with confectioners sugar frostings.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 20 April 2009 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-19

Thanks for the information, I did make the Whimsical Bakhouse (WBH) icing to see the difference. It is much whiter than the Italian Meringue Buttercream (moussuline sp?). So I tried covering the cake in IBC let it chill and then covered that cake in a thin layer of the WBH icing and voila it was a pure white cake. The icing still has a little ‘grit’ to it but not too much and the IBC really masks the shortening ‘film’ of just a pure WBH icing.

In making this second icing and seeing how smooth it was compared to both the Italian and Swiss Buttercream I think that I might be making them incorrectly. I try not to incorparate too much air into them but I still have a icing that is a challenge to get smooth, I am trying a square cake which is a challenge in itself. I use the paddle on the KA and don’t use the high speed. Any tips out there for getting a smoother non-airy icing?

Posted: 20 April 2009 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-27

a pastry chef friend of mine puts some fluid flex (hi ratio shortening) in her IMBC, just enough so it smooths well but not so much you say “yech, veg shortening!”.  So maybe if you have some SweetEx or similar it might be worth a try.  It doesn’t solve your white look issue, though; you’re not adding enough of the stuff to change the color - although you could sub out some of the butter with the hi ratio stuff.  But in that case, the Whimsical House BC is cheaper to make both in terms of ingredient cost and labor.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2009 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Just had a thought about whiter mousseline.  Our butter here is even yellower than in the US so my mousseline is never as white as, say, Patricia’s.  But when butter is creamed it goes very pale.  What’s the opinion on creaming a whole lot of butter and then storing it in the refrigerator until required for a whiter mousseline? 

Or, alternately, making mousseline in the normal way and then continuing to beat the mousseline.  Would it get paler?

Annie

Posted: 20 April 2009 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2009-03-20

The mousseline will give a white cake, but because of the butter, it looks more like an off-white/ivory.  If you’re looking for a pure white, I don’t know if you can achieve that with butter.  There’s also using a meringue frosting.  It’s pure eggwhites and sugar so it’s like eating marshmallow fluff, but I have a bit of a sweet tooth and don’t mind it at all.